Monday, April 1, 2013

Playroom Updates

I hope you all had a very happy Easter! We had a great time at the cottage and with Matt's family, and are now back to regular life.

The house is a mixed bag right now -- some rooms needing mega work (as in, drywall -- we aren't even  close to the decorating stage) and others starting to come together. Hopefully move-in date is near, and we are tentatively planning on moving in the rest of our furniture on Friday. Fingers crossed we stay on schedule!
Anyway, the playroom is one of the most together rooms, so I thought I'd share with you where we're at. Still a long way from a grand reveal, but I thought it might be fun to show you how it is evolving. 

Here's how it is looking now:

 Let's step back for a sec, and I'll show you how it looked a few days ago.
We had installed the light and set up a big white Ikea Expedit shelving unit. 
We also assembled the play table and chairs I showed you here
 Meanwhile, the toys sat in boxes upstairs in the dining room, along with all kinds of other stuff.
 A few organizers (the turquoise ones are from Ikea, the animal ones are from Three Sprouts Organic) and a lot of unpacking later and it started to feel more like a play space. 
We love how much we can store in this one shelving unit. 
Then this is how the other side of the room was looking. Artwork and a big rug are obviously going to make a huge difference. The little white bench with baskets is a hand-me-down from my sister, originally from Pottery Barn Kids I think (still very sturdy, though showing some wear and tear). 
This huge soft-yet-sturdy basket is great for preventing the stuffed animals from totally taking over. 
 Next we moved in Ben's super awesome play kitchen, a present from his godmother, Aunt Alicia. We've slowly stocked up on Melissa & Doug wooden play foods and have a pretty nice little set-up now. He loves it to grocery shop (the cart is from Pottery Barn Kids) and cook for us. So cute. 
 And a few more shots just for fun. I was a little camera-happy. 
And giddy to be unpacking something.
We have plans for some display bookshelves on the walls, so some of the books will move off of the shelves here. Then again, we still have more books to move in! 
 Hopefully soon I'll share this view with you again with some adorable artwork on that big blank wall. 
Okay, well officially I've shared way way way too many photos. 

Here's our updated to do list:







1. Finish the drywall (i.e. drywall over weird exposed beam).

2. Remove old carpet.

3. Install new laminate wood flooring.

4. Install new baseboards and quarter round.

5. Paint the walls

6. Paint the trim, baseboards.

7. Add a window treatment (possibly a fun DIY no-sew faux roman shade).
8. Buy and assemble an ikea Expedit shelving unit (this one, though we've been stalking craigslist in hopes of finding a discounted one). Secure it to the wall. 
9. DIY/Buy a play table and 2-4 play chairs (you can see what we chose here)
10. Gather/make/buy artwork (see above for way too much detail about this)
11. Hang artwork
12. Unpack and organize the toys 
13. Paint the weird little closets/under-the-stairs-nooks/crawlspace to look like little houses. 
14. Add a rug for softness (after all, this is where little ones play)
15. Add a new light fixture
16. Fix the weird outlet/exposed wire inside the little closets (this happened immediately)
17. Child-proof the outlets in the room
18. Replace the broken light switch cover


To read more about where the room started visit here, and see our mood board, etc, visit this post.

Thanks for visiting!!

Jenny xo

10 comments:

  1. Looking good. I'm a big fan of that storage unit from ikea too. Does wonders for a play room. Thanks for sharing, liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so cute and will be a wonderful place for your children to hang out. I love the shelving unit and the light fixture, and that little kitchen cracks me up with it's "granite" countertop---adorable! I hope everything stays on schedule for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the kitchen so much! My kitchen playset was always my fave growing up. Wish I had a playroom this nice then too! Lucky kiddo you've got.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! I'd like to play in there :-)

    Did you attach the shelving unit to the wall? If so, how did you do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)

      The ikea units come with all the hardware and instructions for attaching them to the wall (the only other thing you'd really need is a stud finder). We just used that. We had an expedit about 8 years ago when we lived in Los Angeles and it didn't come with wall-securing hardware, so maybe this is new? In any case seems to work well. Some L-brackets could do the job too.

      Delete
  5. That light fixture is amazing! I am in love.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet it feels good to throw away a few boxes. Baby steps, right?! You have the best toys...I'm ready to play!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Ikea Expedit. I think it should win some kind of prize for best organizer for the money or something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this room. Giving my lots of inspiration ;) I'm sure your kids just love it!
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com
    PS: I would love for you to link this up to our new linky party, Give Me The Goods Monday! I am hosting with 4 other bloggers, 1 party but your links will show up on all 5 blogs!
    http://www.somuchbetterwithage.com/2013/04/give-me-goods-party-2.html
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com


    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, organized playroom! Would love to have you share this at What to do Weekends Party, too. Thanks for sharing the wonderfulness! Linda

    http://www.craftsalamode.com/2013/04/what-to-do-weekends-14.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)