Friday, June 1, 2012

Our Master Bedroom

Our master bedroom is not a room that I love. I actually don't even really like it. I guess that's why you haven't seen much of it on this blog. 

It is a small room filled with way too much furniture, all of which is absolutely necessary for storage (there is very limited storage space in our 1000 square foot home, and removing the armoires or dresser would mean losing half our closet space, and so far we just aren't that good at paring down our belongings). We've been making progress on making it a more inviting space (moving around furniture, deciding to just go for it and block the window with the bed since that is the only way for both of us to get in and out of it easily, painting it, etc) but it is still far from a room we really love. 

Anyway, as much as I know this room will not impress anyone, I thought I'd share it because I also know that there are probably plenty of other people who have to choose function over form for parts of their home who would totally get what I'm talking about. Today, the house was relatively clean and I had a few spare minutes, so I snapped two quick shots of the room to share. 
Obviously, as usual, this is exactly how our room looks (on its better, clean days -- and there is a pile of clothes on the floor just out of view, haha) and is not styled. Sorry about the clothes poking out of the drawer and the eyesore of a television, but this is how we roll. I like to keep it real. Plus, I'm lazy. 

Here's a few other images I had already taken, to give you a better sense of things:
(You can read more about our pretty-but-super-cheap-and-made-of-plastic chandelier here)
Below is a close up of one of my jewellery boxes, which sits atop the dresser. It was a Christmas present from my Mom. We were in New York City together and I gushed over it at Henry Bendel's, and she bought it for me. I love it. This photo was snapped of it in store.
And here's the detail on the dresser (which I might paint -- perhaps dramatic black details against a white dresser, much like my beloved jewellery box above?)
The dresser, of course, is the cheap garage sale find that was in our living room (as seen here, and pictured below as a reminder). It moved into the bedroom very recently as we babyproofed the living/dining room (which you can read about right here). 
Back to the bedroom. As you might have guessed, there is a lot we'd like to do in here, but only a few things we will actually do since we have such a limited budget. Here are my rough notes for you:
I'll post more about each of these projects as they unfold. And I'll take better photos of the room, along with some detail shots. I'm all about the details. 
But for now, at long last, this is where we sleep. It isn't exactly a dream room, but it is getting better. 

Just look at this photo that I found lurking in my iPhoto. Even more blah than the current. So it might be a slow ride, but at least we think we're headed in the right direction.
Baby steps, right?

Jenny xo

P.S. Can you believe it is June?!

5 comments:

  1. I think it looks pretty good. We currently rent & our furniture is far to big for our room, It drives me crazy not being able to make it look nice. I can't wait to follow your progress.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, your place is so neat, tidy and clean! I love your ideas and think going with a white and black (or aqua) accents would help tie everything together. Have you considered a rug for under the bed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, I can't wait to see where you go with this. We're in the middle of the everlasting master bedroom makeover as well. Thanks for sharing, liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the art behind the tv! Where is it from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your master bed room but then again I'm not picky.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)