Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Evolution of Ben's Nursery

Today I'm feeling nostalgic, which turned into (a) finally (well over 3 and a half years later) starting a wedding album and (b) looking through lots of photos on iPhoto (and backing up recent photos, too). I'll share more about the wedding album when/if I manage to complete it, but in the mean time wanted to share these two photos that I came across. 

Sure, they're crappy iPhone pics that were never intended to be used on the blog - but it is fun to look back at how different Benjamin's room looked about a year ago. I thought I'd share it here so you could see the evolution of this space too - despite the poor quality pics. 

At about this time last year, we cleared out our home office to make room for baby. We had only made a few purchases and the crib we ordered arrived super early. For a long time, the room looked like this:
Click "Read More" to see step-by-step how we put the room together.

The curtains, light fixture, and wall colour were already there. We decided that they were neutral enough and opted to keep them. We also chose our crib before we knew if our little one was a he or a she. Then, once we got the news that we were to have a baby boy, I purchased this 2x3 blue trellis rug from Pottery Barn Kids. 
You can see above that we'd begun to purchase some baby essentials as we found them super on sale - the little fisher price whale tub, a baby bouncer, and, you know, way overpriced hippo and sheep stuffed animals from Pottery Barn Kids (sitting on his chair in the photo above). These felt like a "necessity" in the moment. Fortunately, I only made a few emotional impulse buys like this while pregnant. 

Then I ordered artwork and played around with layouts on my bed.
My Mom bought us this floor model dresser from a local furniture shop.
And I found this floor model bookshelf on clearance at Pottery Barn Kids. 
And over time I filled it up with stuff we bought and baby shower gifts as we got ready for baby to arrive. 
Eventually, his room came together and a few short weeks after he was born it looked like this (see all the details here):
And then we added a few more things, and got this (you can see all the updates detailed here):
So to recap this strange little walk down memory lane, we went from home office to bare room to this. 

And now I've done a few more tweaks, shifting some accessories around and re-organizing all his things, which I'll show you just as soon as I snap some pics. 

Jenny xo

PS. THANK YOU for your blog button help responses. I haven't had a chance to respond to you yet, but so appreciate your emails or stopping by and offering advice :)

31 comments:

  1. What a sweet little room! So nice how you've incorporated some style into this cute, practical space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just perfect and will grow with him! The hot air balloons are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. His room is so adorable, bright, and cheerful. Love those balloons and the sweet letters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sweet..love the prints! following you on the new linky :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The nursery is so fresh and bright and ... sweet!

    Found you through the Linky Followers at The DIY Showoff ... am Linky following along with you now too.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable room!

    Liz @ http://www.livingthelifefandango.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great room!! I love the pictures!! and the white letters for his name!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny, it's coming out so great! I absolutely LOVE the artwork! And the air balloons are so cute. This is SUCH an interesting project to follow!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  9. his nursery is adorable- i love the art wall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So adorable! Love the art wall and his name in letters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the artwork and how you framed and placed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Benjamin's room... it looks adorable and so chic! My baby Benjamin has the same crib and about the same size room too! You did a great job, it's too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the hot air balloons and the pictures. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Benjamin is a lucky fellow. What an adorable nursery!! Love those air balloons in the corner.
    Glad to be your newest follower, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  15. Benjamin has a wonderful space to grow! I like the pictures and his name over the crib--very sweet touches.

    I hope you can join us over at the It’s a Wrap Link Party at Artful Rising.

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute!! Love the artwork- where did you get the artwork?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emmy. You can find all the info about the artwork (prints from Etsy) right here: http://simcoestreet.blogspot.com/2011/10/my-baby-boy-nursery-updates.html

      Delete
  17. So cute. Love all the details. I especially love the light fixture and the air balloons! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love those Hot Air Balloons! This is such an adorable room!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a cute room! Will you be changing it into a big boy room soon? Love the hot air balloons!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful personalized space. I love it. The all white backdrop makes everyone of those special accessories pop.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful!!! I did a Peter rabbit for my son...it turned out nice..but this is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! You really used the space perfectly for everything in the nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the completed look! Especially those hot air balloons! Where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks so cute! I love the air balloons. I am due in 2 and a half weeks, but we're not setting up a nursery yet because we're moving-it's been hard not to!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh wow! what a transformation! A beautiful bright room!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a gorgeous nursery! I just adore the artwork and the hot air balloons.. So fun and sweet at the same time! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party.. can't wait to see what you share next!

    ReplyDelete
  27. AMAZING! This turned out FABULOUS! I'm so impressed Jenny! Thanks for sharing at my party!!! Happy Valentine's Day!!! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a darling room. I love the light and the artwork. It's so fun to see the evolution!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So darling!! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your son's nursery is so precious! Thanks for linking up last weekend, I never tire of looking at your home!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)