Friday, February 17, 2012

Organizing Kitchen Cupboards (Food Storage)

Happy Friday everyone!

This week has been one of those ultra busy ones full of ups and downs, where only the littlest things seem to get accomplished. Fortunately for me, it is often the little things that get me excited. Like re-organizing junk drawers or, in this case, the cupboard we keep most of our food in. It was starting to look awfully scary...
We had some blue bins that are meant to stack and store things. Since they were not being used anywhere, I decided to use them here. The big glass jars of food went into our other pantry cupboard on a shelf where we are now keeping cereal, teas, and coffee. Cans of soup got a new home, too. But back to the blue bins. Sure, they're not the ideal shape for maximizing storage potential, but right now I'm all about using what I've got and saving up our pennies. In any case, they have made a HUGE difference. I haven't got around to making proper labels (the current ones are just mini post-its taped on) but even so we are finding it easy to see what we have and make better use of the food in our cupboards. 

Ah, much better:
(I know the bins look a little messy in the photo, but didn't want to "stage" our food. And in real life they are organized but not obsessively neat because we're pulling things in and out of them all the time. Though I did think about styling things before realizing that that was crazy and that people are probably more interested in what's real versus a better before-and-after. At least I hope so). Okay, more pics:
One drawer or cupboard at a time, I'm whipping our kitchen back into shape. Remember not so long ago I re-organized this drawer of baby stuff (here)? It is still looking good :)
Anyway, just thought I'd share this tiny project. Done any mini-makeovers in any of your cupboards lately? 

Jenny xo


Come party with us here!

6 comments:

  1. Ohhh!! I am organizing my kitchen right now too, it's so hard to decide how things would work best. Your cabinets look great! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree containerizing stuff in cupboards and drawers helps to keep them organized - of course, I still manage to forget about things in the back of containers. I also started labeling my shelves and containers too. At first it was just so that I remembered where I had put stuff, but I find that it really helps to put things back and it helps the family to find things. My favorite time saver was to start using a small plastic bowl in the glass cabinet to hold the tops to all the travel water bottles we have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - what a difference! I am your newest Linky Follower. Feel free to stop by TheStuffofSuccess and say hello! Have a great week - Athena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh jenny what an inspirational post... what hectic work it feel before every time when I start it but the end result makes me so happy that so many times I visited the kitchen and feel my heart happy from inside... thanks for give me again the inspiration...
    Hope you have a great tea with me at
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    With love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  5. your new linky follower too...
    Hope you have a great tea with me at
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    With love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE organization! It is one of my favorite things.
    I thought I had signed up as follower of your blog several months ago, but it looks like I hadn't. So, I'm now a Linky Follower. I signed up in GFC, but most of the time, the blogs I try to follow in GFC don't show up in my dashboard.
    Looking forward to keeping in touch!

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    just a little note: feel free to join in my weekly Show & Tell link party. It goes live every Wednesday and lasts til midnight on Monday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)