Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Shoe Organizer Turned Cleaning Product Organizer

This week has already been one of those crazy busy ones where you think to yourself, "Thank goodness it's Friday," only to realize it is 10:15 am on a Tuesday. Yikes. There seems like there is so much to do on my to-do list, and most of it is stuff I have no real interest in doing. But c'est la vie, I suppose. On days like this, I look at this little face and realize that no matter what life is wonderful:
Anyway, as a result of all this boring stuff I'm doing, I haven't been able to wrap up (or, truth be told, in some cases start) the projects I'd been hoping to share. So instead, I'm giving you the teeniest makeover that you could do for just a few dollars and a few minutes - but one that will free up some good space under your sink or in your cupboards. 

My sister Shannon and her partner Chris moved into a new apartment a little while ago (lots more on that to come) and we've done things big and small to fix it up and make it theirs. 

Since they have limited storage but, like most of us, a fair bit of stuff, we did a number of things to maximize storage. One simple one was to utilize otherwise wasted space behind the door in the small laundry closet. An inexpensive clear plastic shoe organizer (folded in half since the washer sits closer to the door than the upper dryer) now houses all of their cleaning supplies. They are easy to see, making the product you're looking for easier to find than digging through the cupboard, and now the space under their kitchen sink - previously full of these supplies - is free to hold something else. 
By the way, just so you remember Chris and Shannon from previous posts-- you saw their engagement party right here, and when we did a one-day makeover in their last place right here? Here's a glimpse of that:

The Before:

The After:
The Before:

The After:

Okay, one last glance at my sweet Benjamin... getting so big!!
...and now back to work for this gal. Have a great day!

Jenny xo



Cutting Edge Stencils is offering one lucky reader a stencil of their choice. The possibilities are endless! Check it out here and enter to win!

14 comments:

  1. well that is a very smart idea! Thank you for this inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea - I think I will be stealing this one! And when did Benjamin get big enough to sit in a shopping cart?! Such a funny picture! He looks like he is holding on for dear life and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny, What a clever idea, uses the very needed
    space.... that is also the cutest little fella...
    Thanks for sharing & stopping by
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. I've also seen a similar shoe bag used for jewelry, or belts, or scarves. Pretty amazing piece of equipment for organizing. Thanks for stopping by my post. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this idea! What a great upcycle. And Benjamin is a DOLL!!

    I would love it if you could come by today to enter my giveaway for a $50 Lowe's gift card and to link up to my very first party! http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/imagine-the-impossibilities-link-party-1/
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Benjamin is just adorable sitting in the shopping cart, Jenny! I love that face! Shoe organizers are such a great idea for a lot of different things. I was thinking of getting one to use in my craft room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The shoe organiser is a great idea for storing cleaning products. I have one in my sewing room for ribbons, laces, ric rac and other sewing notions...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The possibilities are endless. Shoe organizers are just not for shoes anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your home looks beautiful and organized. Please share your talents at my weekly Friday -monday linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your house looks great I have to comment on the pic of Ben in the shopping cart-priceless

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for linking up to Kiss & Tell over at I Gotta Create, Jenny!!
    <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply take a few minutes and use a tape measure so you get a better idea of how much space is available. If there is not sufficient room, then you can always consider those hanging organizers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some shoe racks can get fairly costly but typically it is well worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)