Monday, January 23, 2012

Mom's Birthday Dinner Tablescape

Back in November, we had a big family celebration for all 8 of our November birthdays (you can see that party here), but we also had a smaller dinner to celebrate my Mom. Today, I'm finally telling you about it. 
As the mother of 9 kids my Mom is always doing so much for everyone around her, so we wanted to get together to have an extra-special celebration for her. We showed up at the house, and while three of my sisters whisked her off to the spa for a massage, we used the 90 minutes they were gone to set the table and get dinner cooking. We didn't have much of a plan, but poked around the house and used what we found to set a festive spot for dinner. Here is how things turned out. 

On the island/breakfast bar, we set up all of our sweets for dessert as well as lots of mismatched candlesticks, pillar candles, and tealights. A few stems of hydrangeas in a wine goblet as well as some roses my mother had received completed the display. 
 Here's a few more shots:
 We used my parents' wedding china throughout (here, holding cupcakes), as well as simple white serving pieces. 


To see the table and all the decor, click "read more"
I put candies in some inexpensive glass bowls meant for candles (you can also spot candles in some of them). To vary the height of the sweets, I popped some bowls in my Mom's old silver goblet-style tennis trophies from the 80s, like this:
Here is how the table itself came together:
 We love you Mom!

Jenny
xo

PS. If you're really observant, you might have noticed a lot of changes in this space. I'll do a proper post detailing it all soon, but everything from the wall-colour to the lighting to the table and chairs to window treatments to kitchen cupboard hardware to the gallery wall has been totally revamped. See how the table has changed from this dinner (November) to our Christmas dinner (seen here)? Can't wait to show you all the rest! It is really pretty :)
Here's the table change as a little preview:

31 comments:

  1. Very pretty! We both posted tablescapes this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So gorgeous! I love all the sparkly elements. And the changes are great too. I love the black chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love all the candles!! love the new arrangement too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...Wow...all those candles are stunning...what a beautiful kitchen you have!...I see how you have an empty spot over your side board...Is that what you ment about not wanting to put holes in your wall?
    Your dining area is a wonderful spot for a party! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments -- and as for the spot above my parents' sideboard, that is only because we haven't found the right piece for there yet. The room is a work in progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny, it's gorgeous! The whole kitchen is really. She must have felt so special :)
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Great party! I love it! Joann

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so pretty! And your mom deserves a medal for having 9 children :) Glad you spoiled her on her birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So gorgeous!! Love all the candles.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    Sanghamitra.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty! Love all of the candle! They look lovely. What a great way to make your Mom feel special.
    -Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how pretty. I love all the gorgeous candles, they are so pretty and the bar is displayed beautifully. Your tablescape is stunning. I am sure you mom loved it all. What a special treat for her. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice job - very pretty! I so love hydrangeas! Thanks for sharing this on the Take it on Tuesday blog hop! I'm definitely pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How pretty! That whole setting looks like it was in a fancy restaurant. Everything from the candles to the flowers and the entire atmosphere looks wonderful. I'm sure you don't mean to do it, but you have made me feel guilty. Heehee. You see, my Mom's birthday was last week and I didn't do any where near this much for her. You have given me the inspiration to make it up to her by going all out for Mother's Day. I would love to have you share this at my Your Cozy Home Party. It just might encourage others like me, to go the extra distance for someone they love. You are a very good daughter.------Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your tablescape is stunning, I'm sure your mom loved it! I love the breakfast bar with all the mismatched candle holders, so elegant and romantic. Love your flowers, everything turned beautiful, all you need is to tell us what mother thought of all this fabulous celebration you all did for her! I also love the food and desserts. Lots of hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  15. What gorgeous photos, what a special treat for your mother.

    Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is lovely. I'm sure your mom appreciated all the special touches.

    ReplyDelete
  17. your mom must have been thrilled, jenny! your romantic bar is lovely with the candles and treats:) and your table is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great surprise! Love all the sparkly silver and crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You prepared a beautiful celebration to honor your mom on her birthday. The candles on the breakfast bar are quite lovely, and the table is gorgeous. Thank you for inviting us to the party. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jenny - So, so pretty! How sweet of all of you to do this for your mother! And it turned out beautifully! Like Cherry Kay, I love the candles on the bar--great use of that space to separate it from the kitchen. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, that is super fancy! I love the candles and all the crystal. What a great birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful tablescape for your mom's b-day!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jenny...what a wonderful way to honor your mother! Beautiful job on the fly!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Simple, but beautiful. Love the picture wall in the kitchen. Is it just paint with wood trim or cork, I couldn't tell.
    http://junkparlor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brooke -- a complete post on this is overdue, but the wall is actually sheet metal with magnet photos.

      Delete
  25. Your mom has a very fabulous kids and she's lucky for having all of you as part of her life. Anyway, it seems that the entire celebration turned into a very unforgettable moment. We are so lucky to see this post as I actually adore how you set those tables and dinner wares. Everything is perfect and every details were captured perfectly.

    Damask Tablecloths

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)