Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Getting Organized: Baby Stuff in the Kitchen

Today I want to share a quick organizing project that I did last night during the commercials as Matt and I caught up on last week's episode of The Bachelor (sorry, Matt - I'm outing us as fans of the show). 

While most of our place is usually pretty organized, lately there are some things (okay, a lot of things) we've let slide. One of the worst spots was the bottom drawer in our kitchen (which is a tiny space - with only four drawers total - take a tour of the kitchen here and see more of it here) where we now store all of Benjamin's feeding-related stuff. Somehow, it went from a nice little grouping of things to this jumbly mess:
Yikes.

I decided that the best thing to do would be to remove, group, and then put back everything. Normally when reorganizing I also like to try and purge, but in this case everything in this drawer is needed - minus some bulky packaging for snack containers Benny's too little to use. I went ahead and recycled those. 

I used two large and one small lidless tupperware containers, plus a clear acrylic drawer divider that had been separating hand creams and hair elastics and whatnot in my nightstand drawer (I'll reorganize that mess another day) so that everything can stay organize. Here is how it worked out:


If you're super detail-oriented and wondering what's what, here's the relevant info for ya:
For all the small bits in the acrylic drawers, I decided to use my trusty alphabet stamps (which I used on all our Christmas gift wrapping, seen here, and to make easy shipping tag place cards, seen here). I made simple labels on cue-cards that I popped underneath the divider (so they stay protected, and since they can obviously be seen through the clear acrylic). My hope is that this will make it easier for us to keep it nice and tidy when we put things away, and find what we need quickly. 
[Once I decided to post this, I realized that although the labels make sense to Matt and I, they might seem odd to someone else. "Two and Three" refers to size 2/3 flow nipples for bottles, "Size One" is size 1 flow nipples, and the rest is for the vents and whatnot that come with the Born Free bottles we use].

The only other place in the kitchen that we keep baby stuff is in our top drawer, where two rows of our cutlery divider and now devoted to soft-tipped spoons and the like. 
I got snap-happy with the camera:
Did you spot the super cute construction fork and spoon? Here they are if you missed 'em:
Oh, and since I sometimes receive questions about which baby products I use from readers, while I'm opening up the drawers and showing it all to you, here is a better look of some of the things in there that a few of you might be curious about. 

Jenny xo

8 comments:

  1. It looks great! I really need to get going on organizing our drawers & closets! I also wanted to let you know that I'm hosting my first giveaway, I'd love you to stop by my blog & enter to win a free My Memories digital scrapbooking software!
    Sally
    loveofhomes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, better, right? It is so nice and organized now! And we are fans too. Booo to Courtney, the model!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your posts are so fun, Jenny. I love that you say you live in a small place, but everything is in perfect order--you maximize your space very well! I had to smile when I saw your labels--organized to the max! Gotta know where you got the construction set!! Please let me know; I haven't seen it, and we have a baby boy who is all about trucks and cars! :) Thanks for sharing! ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is great I hope you'll add it to my What We Wore and Made Party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/search/label/WWWMW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Separate containers make all the difference! Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that organized drawer makes me want to go dump out all the drawers in my kitchen and start over!!! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. IBaby Shop in Singapore, online buy Strollers, Prams, Baby warehouse sale, playpen singapore, High Chair, Changer and a wide variety of baby products to meet your baby needs.For more resources about Baby Playpen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)