Sunday, December 4, 2011

Mom and Dad's Ornaments and Tree

Hi everyone,

Today I am sharing a few photos from when we all got together to decorate the tree at my parents' house. This is one of my favourite holiday traditions (you can see last year's tree decorating right here).
Before I get to showing you a few of the favourite ornaments, I thought I'd mention that - although there'll be no interruption with posting, my posts this week are pre-scheduled. I'm away in NYC this week, and have been since Saturday morning (for school more-so than for fun - which is why I've been so very busy lately... but I'll be sure to squeeze in some shopping, hanging with friends, and other fun stuff that I can tell you about when I get back). 
I will be checking the blog periodically but won't have regular internet access, so won't be able to visit people who comment or answer questions until I'm home. I will get back to you as soon as I can though!
 Anyway, back to Christmas goodness. My parents' tree is an amazing mixture of ornaments created by us as kids (there are 9 kids in my family, so there are lots of artistic creations to behold). Here is one that I crafted. Note the beautiful penmanship...
The many, many ornaments are stashed in big rubbermaid boxes. This might be the year that I actually organize them and wrap them when the holidays are over. Anyway, when we pull 'em out, they look like this: 
Here's a better look at some of them:
Isn't pulling out all the old ornaments so fun? Matt and I have our own small collection from some trips we've been on, as well as a few ornaments that we've made. Matt's grandparents also give him one every year. Both sets of Ben's grandparents plan to do the same for him. I love that tradition.

If you missed it, here's an ornament that I made recently. They are our wedding program cut into strips and curled up, then popped inside a clear glass ornament. See the details and variations of this ornament here.

Jenny xo


P.S. Don't forget to enter this great giveaway from Ramsign! Click here to enter.

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tradition... and I loved seeing all the handmade ornaments! This post was so sweet! Hope you're enjoying NYC...it can be magical this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your wedding program ornament, Jenny! Ornaments with meaning are what I use, too. I have ornaments that my kids made, too, and they get added to my tree every year. I always smile when I see them. That must be a lot of fun and memories going through those ornaments! My granddaughter will be celebrating her second Christmas this year and I am also getting her a new ornament each year. Haven't found one I like for this year yet, but there's still many stores to get to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a heart warming post!!! sending hugs and holiday cheer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, I hope you have a great time at the ballet!! Thanks for stopping by to tell me. I wish I was going to see it again this year. I love this post - seeing all the ornaments you and your siblings made. What a lovely tradition. I also love your wedding ornament!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very happy tradition....love your sentimental wedding ornament, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of memories goes with those old ornaments don't they. Happy Holidays! Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi lovely lady.
    I love your beautiful tradition.I also have a lot of handmade Christmas ornaments from years ago and now all are Treasures of time gone by. ever year my hubby and I get a new one for the tree. Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my Tablescape for my past Christmas. I hope you have a wonderful week coming up with your family.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so fun to see...I just decorated my Dad's tree this weekend. At least 3/4 of the ornaments are handmade by my mother (cross stitch and plastic canvas, ones made from nutshells and seashells). I keep his ornaments pretty organized, however, I wasn't the one to put them away last Christmas. Sooo, they looked kinda like your pictures this year. lol :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just live how you decorate. I do my three the same way, all hand made. If you get the time come and linkt this and any outher things you have up to my linky party Crafty Lassie Tuseday http://sewstylishboutique.blogspot.com/2011/12/crafty-lassie-tuesday-link-party-16_05.html
    Thanks Rose

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)