Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Roasted Garlic Parmesan Brussel Sprouts (Easy & Healthy)

Although I hated them as a kid, I love brussel sprouts. Especially if they are roasted. Today, I thought I'd show you how to make brussel sprouts that even veggie-haters like. This recipe is great for people who are not super skilled in the kitchen, too, as it is very easy and uses stuff you probably have on hand. It can also be made ahead of time for stress-free entertaining. And you can use broccoli or cauliflower instead of brussel sprouts, if you prefer. 
Start by preheating the oven to 400. Then chop your brussel sprouts in half (cutting off stalky stems and discarding any gross outer leaves).
Click "read more" on the bottom left if you'd like to see the rest of the recipe.

Next, take a bulb of garlic and slice up several cloves (I think more is better, because I love oven-roasted garlic, but you can add as much or as little garlic as you'd like). Do this by peeling the garlic cloves, then slicing them thinly. They will look something like this:
Next, lay your brussel sprouts in a single layer in a casserole dish/baking pan/whatever you have. I was making a big batch so I used these four oven-safe baking dishes. (Excuse the terrible photograph). 
Remember, a single layer - otherwise, they won't cook and brown evenly and will take forever to bake. 
Add some olive oil (I have a mister bottle [available here], but you could also just drizzle it on top). Less is more. 

Sprinkle on your garlic slices, and add a bit of pepper and sea salt to taste (I like 'em pretty salty).
Pop them in the oven until they start looking nice and golden, about 20 minutes.
When you take them out, toss them with a touch more olive oil, a little more salt, grated parmesan cheese, and, if you'd like, chopped up fresh basil, lemon, and a nut like pine nuts or almond slices. This time I opted for parmesan with almond slices. They add the perfect touch of crunch.
I used these parmesan petals instead of pricier parmesan and loved the taste:

If you wish to use at a later time, cover and put in the fridge. To reheat, put in a 325 or so degree oven until nice and hot. (Or just microwave, but you'll lose the crispness).Then serve in a pretty dish. I used this one (and served these at the 30th anniversary dinner I told you about here). 
And again, you can easily substitute broccoli or cauliflower. Mixing up the cheese makes for fun variations, too (blue cheese, for instance, paired with walnut bits, completely transforms the dish). BTW, I think this whole recipe was inspired by an Ina Garten broccoli dish I used to make (just to be sure credit is given where it is due).

Enjoy!

Jenny
xo


Linking here and here.

24 comments:

  1. I make these all the time (minus the cheese)and my family loves them! We never have any leftovers. I'll have to try them with the parm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me some brussel sprouts! What a great recipe- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the taste of brussel sprouts but have never been crazy about the ... aroma (I was going to say smell but since this is food I tried for an appetizing word) of the sprouts cooking. Never thought of roasting those sprouts and that should address the "aroma" as well. Will have to try. And what doesn't taste better with parm on it anyway?

    Robin @ happilyhomeafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum, this looks so tasty! And I love that it is healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never try new recipes, but I actually AM going to make this one! Thanks you!!!!

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look yummy! I was just telling my mom yesterday that I need to try some brussel sprouts. I haven't eaten them since I was ten and thought they were disgusting. This might just have to be the recipe to get me to eat them again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been dying to try roasted brussels sprouts, but have yet to do it! This looks amazingly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love brussel sprouts and i love garlic! so this would be perfect for me!!!

    would love it if you would share this on my link party at www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

    Natasha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely going to try this. We love brussel sprouts and are always looking for new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious...I just made something similar last night...only sauteed instead of baked. My husband and I gobbled them up, my kids weren't as impressed ;) Think I'll try this next time! Thanks, Laurel@chippingwithcharm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my - I still don't like brussel sprouts - but maybe I would try these! they look really tasty!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my word, this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. going to try this. I need to detox after the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmm - I love Brussel sprouts!! You can add so much flavor to them. We had them for Thanksgiving.

    Thanks for linking up to Take it on Tuesday blog hop!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yumm sounds really good! I am a new follower! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy! I love brussel sprouts and will have to try this out.

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday this week.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing! They look good! I love finding new ideas for brussel sprouts! I will definately try them! Shay :) http://raisingdieter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I stopped eating rice & pasta a couple of months ago and have been in vegetable overdrive - including brussels sprouts. They are my husband's favourite so I'll have to make this for him.

    P.S. Awesome to find someone else in the GTA blogging about their crafting/DIY addiction!

    www.turtlesandtails.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh YUM! I love brussell sprouts, and I love garlic. I will definately try this recipe, thanks for sharing. Found you at potpourri party, and I am your latest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These sound yummy--they are so good for you too! Thanks so much for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love me some brussel sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooooo. This sounds delicious. I usually roast them, but haven't tried roasting the garlic on top. Does it burn? Also love the addition of the parmesan cheese after roasting. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)