Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Favourite Tablescapes

Right now is one of those times when there are so many things on the go, but none of them finished. None are particularly huge projects or anything, but with so many things happening lately the littlest things - organizing drawers, getting a Christmas tree, finishing off a craft project, even just editing photos - are only half-done.

Which means I feel like I have nothing to blog about. Ugh. Does this happen to you guys?

I decided that today I will try to finish at least one thing (I'm in the midst of decorating my china cabinet for Christmas at 8:45 am while Benjamin is sleeping in, so it is a promising start). But in the mean time, instead of leaving you all with nothing, I thought I'd share a few favourite tablescapes & centrepieces from the past, all in one spot. Maybe because I'm playing around with my china display. But also because I am thrilled to have some new readers lately, so even though they are not new projects it may be new to lots of you. And maybe there are a few of you out there as crazy about china, crystal, and other tablewares as I am...(like Shelia, or The Tablescaper). Ok, enough rambling...
To recreate this centrepiece, grab a few mismatched candlesticks (single ones can be purchased for next to nothing at thrift stores) and pop 'em on an old silver tray that you sit atop a cake stand. Voila!
Aren't these teaspoons cute? I once did a giveaway with a set of them and Marty at A Stroll Thru Life won them. 
And here you can see my favourite pieces of our wedding china - the salad plates.
More on this table can be found here.
This table features what I call our breakfast china, as well as our gold flatware (a total steal - read about that here), and the grey tablecloth you saw last week (right here). 
Instead of a decorative centrepiece, on this tiny table that morning it was totally functional - all the fixings for tea. Again, just pop stuff on a cakestand and it suddenly seems centrepiece-ish. 
And, as you'll notice in a lot of my tablescapes (and room designs), I think it is fun to mix up fabrics. No need for your napkins and tablecloth to match!
If you are looking for ideas for a bigger party, check out this dinner party for 75 that we put on in my parents' basement for my Granny's 80th (more details here)
And of course I've showed you some wedding tablescapes that I adore, like these two (see here and here for more on the weddings):
Here's another breakfast table (more here). Sarah Richardson used these parrot plates in a guest room on Sarah's House once. (Read about that here). I heart her.
And another easy, last-minute, functional centrepiece. This is why you should buy a few of those old silver trays you see all over thrift stores - they are so handy!
In this tablescape, you can see my painted pumpkins. I also used 99 cent napkins as placemats, The runner is key to using napkins in this way. See this post for details. 
A better look at the pumpkins:
I added in blue candles to make this tablescape with those same pumpkins (you can see more here and find the pumpkin tutorial here). 
This one is recent, but here is the 30th anniversary dinner party table for my in-laws (originally here). Since the traditional gift is pearls, we had touches of pearl on the table. 
The centrepiece was just corks in a trifle bowl with a candle. Details are here if you want to recreate this.
And lastly, if corks aren't your thing and you don't want your centrepiece to be a tea set or something like that, flowers or candles are always the best choice. Here's a few that I've shown you in the past:
I hope you had fun checking out some of these table decor ideas. I have lots of new Christmas table ideas in the works, and about a million other half-finished projects that I can't wait to finish and then tell you all about. I'm off to finish up what I can before Benny wakes up!

Jenny xo

Click here to enter to win a beautiful enamel porcelain house number sign from Ramsign! Giveaway ends December 10. 

31 comments:

  1. Beautiful tables! I love how you used the mismatched crystal holders, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo so so pretty! Thanks for stopping by! can't wait either :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now, I need a snack until dinner is ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorites are the candlesticks on the cake plate and the mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really really love the mismatched candlesticks on silver. I am going to rip off your idea then blog about it. Haha! I'll give you credit though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such lovely tables!

    I'm in the same spot as you, at the moment: Just trying to get a few things organized and am in the middle of a hundred projects, but none of them ready to be blogged about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely settings. And your wedding china is stunning. Now I'm off to search for candles and candlesticks to cluster in the middle of my table!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every single tablescape you shared was beautiful, Jenny! That's one thing I miss about living on a farm, I don't have formal table settings very often.

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous settings! Love these ideas.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog::)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow so pretty! I love the candles on the cake stand what a great/pretty idea! I am going to have to do that sometime =]

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun collection of tables. I am really really impressed with the huge table in your parent's basement. That must have been fun. You have such lovely dishes. Can't wait to see your Christmas ones. There just isn't enough time is there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So nice to go back and look at your past posts! And you have so many different styles. Love your china with the pattern! (I really like to watch Sarah's House too.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the silver try with all the crystal candlesticks! Actually I love all of them, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some beautiful tablescapes and ideas. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many wonderful tables of inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing all your beautiful tables and centerpiece ideas. I agree, napkins and table cloths don't need to match. In fact, I find it more interesting if they don't. Like to mix up the dishes too. ;-)
    Good luck with your projects. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of great ideas here...I enjoyed seeing all of the different table settings...all so different, yet all so beautiful...thanks for sharing :)
    Big hugs,
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Your wedding china is beautiful! All of these tablescapes have me itching to host a dinner party. Oh wait. My house is basically a construction zone right now. Maybe in the new year...or the year after that.
    - Diana

    ReplyDelete
  19. What IS it about this year???!?!! I'm kind of feeling like I can't finish a project, either! We must be on overload. It was a nice trip down memory lane, though, to see past posts. I hope you have a great weekend and that you're able to focus...I know I'm still struggling with it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have so many lovely ideas! The crystal candlestick are gorgeous!

    Thank you for linking this lovely post to Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi lovely lady.
    The Tablescapes are so Beautiful this was a big dinner party. My favorite are the candlesticks Gorgeous.
    I hope you are having a wonderful week.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just beautiful especially all the glass candlesticks, really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So fun to see so many wonderful tablescapes in one post! I loved your wedding salad plate - so pretty. And the 80th celebration - WOWZA !

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful post, love all the table settings. Loving that candlestick centre piece. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely selection of tablescapes!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous table settings! I love all of the crystal in the first few photos! Very elegant :)
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete
  27. So many beautiful ideas here, I adore that fresh green and white and the silver is so elegant too! Thank you so much for entering in the contest!!!

    xo
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  28. Exquisite settings. The clear candlestick centerpiece is gorgeous and yet so simple. Nice idea!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just love the glass candlesticks on the cake stand. I might try that one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)