Friday, November 11, 2011

Guest Post: Meg from A Little Knick Knack

A very special treat today -- Meg from A Little Knick Knack is in the house! Enjoy :) -Jenny


_________________________________________________

Hey all! I'm thrilled to be here at Simcoe Street with Jenny. I love her blog and her creativity knows no bounds.

I will just take a second to introduce myself. I'm Meg and I live over at  A Little Knick Knack. I have a full-time job of three kids and one on the way. To keep sane, I decided to start this blog as an outlet and also as a reason to do things other than change diapers and wash clothes all day. I love meeting new blog-friends and learning every time I jump online. I have lots of fun guest bloggers as well as giveaways. I also host a link party every Friday called Everything but the Kitchen Sink. I'd love for you to join!

A Little Knick Knack
I've had these apple buckets for a looooong time, always with the intention to change them in some way. I've seen lots of fun ideas all over blogland, but just did what I do best---procrastinate.
I decided this blog swap was the perfect push to make these baskets unique.

I started with some walnut stain, rubber gloves and a medium size paint brush. I watered down the stain (you just need a couple drops of water to get the right consistency....you want it to be pretty runny) and used the brush to apply a layer of stain. A sponge brush worked well to get in all the little crevices.



After the stain dried, I used a 100 grit sandpaper to give the edges a big of a worn look. Nothing can look perfect in this house because...well, nothing looks perfect anyway.

I only had 2 baskets, and I wanted to do something different with each of them, so I just grabbed a number at Michael's (ok, ok, they were all on clearance and the 5's were the only ones left. You got me. ;)

I took it home and applied a layer of white. Again, I used my sandpaper to distress the edges.

Then, using my Distressing Ink, I ran it over the corners and raised edges. And with my trusty glue gun (yee-haw!) I attached it to the front of the apple bucket.


Looooove.....
Oh, we had a fun little photo shoot, my apple bucket and I....
Shall we decorate you, little apple bucket? A little strip of burlap tied to the handle adds a nice little bit of character....

Oooh, love the worn edges...
And that's my little tutorial for sprucing up your apple bucket!
Thanks for having me, Jenny! 
I hope you guys can stop by my link party this Friday! Have a wonderful week. 

_______________________________________________________


Thank you Meg!!! xo

P.S. Today I am especially thankful for all those who have served and are serving now, for the families who miss and support them, and especially those we have lost and their friends and families. 
Charlie, I am thinking of you today!



Update: Don't miss out on this amazing throw pillow giveaway (until 11/26). Check it out here!

20 comments:

  1. Distressing ink?! Never heard of it! More info pretty please!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Darling!!!

    Aimee @ ItsOverflowing.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I;m a happy follower of both of your blogs xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know nothing about distressing ink. Anyone? Meg?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, I have two baskets just waiting transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Distressing ink is found in or near the scrapbooking aisles in craft stores. It's to give paper and aged look, but I've found you can use it on wood, cloth and other projects to give a vintage appearance. It comes in different shades...brown, red, black, etc. You just open it and run the pad over the edges of what you want distressed. Easy and effective!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a basket just like this sitting in my garage...and I had no ideas. Fantastic...and I think the #5 is a great #...love the distressing you did. I must find some of this distressing ink...I'm a distressing fool! (that really didn't come out the way I meant it)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the rustic look of this and the burlap bow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the finished product. Makes me want to go get some cute apple buckets. Thanks for sharing. I would love it if you could link this up at our linky party going on right now.

    http://junkintheirtrunk.blogspot.com/2011/11/link-it-up-wednesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous spot to stash a few magazines, blankets, or even toys. You did a great job adding some character to those baskets!

    ~Jen @ www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meg's basket turned out beautifully! I love the color with the pop of white...so country chic! Thanks for sharing this Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this idea I have some orchard baskets I had no idea what to do with now thanks to you I do thanks come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so cute. I can imagine a million uses for this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooo - I love your apple basket makeover --

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this lovely basket! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie this week! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)