Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Easy DIY (Very Sentimental) Ornaments

Katie, Sherry, Ana & Erin are co-hosting the fall pinterest challenge and I am excited to join in the fun. 
Today, I'm sharing some easy DIY ornaments that are meaningful keepsakes. Here is how they turned out:
Did I mention that each ornament cost about 80 cents to make? 
I think they're totally cute and love how meaningful they are, even if saying that risks sounding braggy. Shoot, I hope I don't sound braggy. 
Anyway, let me rewind and give you the step-by-step. 
Lately I've been pinning all kinds of holiday ideas, especially easy DIY ornaments. I absolutely love Christmas. I'm also a total sentimental sap. So when I spied this pretty little bauble on pinterest, I repinned it right away (you can find the pin here). 
The ornament was originally created by Christy at From Glitter to Gumdrops. She did such a beautiful job. I decided to use a similar method to Christy with my own tweaks.

The first one I decided to try was to make a little present for Matt. Instead of our invitation, I opted to fill the ornament with swirly strips cut from our ceremony program. Here is how it turned out.
I really loved our programs, which took hours for us to design ourselves and included the full text of readings from the service. This, along with the names of all those involved, places, etc., made for some great text to fill my little memory-stuffed ornament with. Anyway, I have a bunch of programs stored in a box of wedding mementos at my parents' house and repurposed some for this project. Here's what I was working with...
I cut them up into strips, which I purposely varied the size of. I then wrapped the strips into tight coils around a pen ("swirling" them), just as Christy did, and popped 'em into the ornament. They then naturally loosen up and stretch out a bit once inside. They look awesome inside the ornament and the whole thing seriously could not be easier. You should totally try this. 
Since the pages were double sided, I knew that both sides would be visible from different angles once I swirled (yes, swirled is the description I'm going with) the strips and I was extra psyched about that.
Just because I'm extra-sentimental, I opted to use the ribbon from the original program to hang the ornament. Though it was a little creased, it felt way more special than adding a new ribbon. 
From different angles and as it moves, you can see all kinds of different names, lines from readings, places, etc.
Oh, and I added little glittery stickers (in silver to match the top of the ornament) for the year we got married. Find these stickers in any scrap book or sticker aisle at a craft shop. 
Next, I decided to make one for my friend Jamie who is getting married in three weeks to her awesome fiance, Jamie. Yep, you read that right. Jamie and Jamie are getting hitched. I think this will be a sweet addition to their wedding gift from us. 
To see all the details and a few more ornaments, click "Read More" on the bottom left.

I also made one for my sister Shannon to commemorate 2011 as the year she got engaged. I used the  invitation I had designed for their engagement party (if it looks blurry, that is because I blurred things like addresses/phone #s... But, you can check out the big party right here if you missed it). I embellished the ornament with stickers that said 2011 in glittery silver.  
Finally, I decided to make a goofy one (although it is also a meaningful one). For four years,  I lived in NYC. Matt and I adored it there. We'll always have a big giant soft spot for it. So, when I was cleaning out boxes of old cards to recycle the ones I didn't want/save the really good ones, I found this little card and decided to try it out as one of these ornaments. 
I hope Matt will like it. 

I'm on the hunt for sheet music for our wedding song, That's How Strong My Love Is by Otis Redding, to make another for Matt (if you know where to find it, let me know!). I think that one could look very much like a Miss Mustard Seed ornament. I also have plans to cut up little maps of Toronto, Montreal, Los Angeles & NYC (all the places we've lived together) to fill one last ornament. I'll probably print the maps double sided onto cardstock to do this. Saving that for a rainy day...
This ornament set (wedding program, NYC, our song & the maps) will probably end up in his stocking. Since I spent $7 on a pack of 8 pearlized clear ornaments and nothing on the filler, it is a very budget-friendly little gift. It was so easy to do, and I think you should try it. If you do, let me know so I can come check out your creation!

A big thank you to Christy for her very inspiring ornament, and to the four lovely gals hosting the pinterest challenge! Can't wait to see what others were inspired to make.

Love Jenny


P.S. You might notice this post was posted at 4:44 am. It was not prescheduled. I sometimes blog while I'm up nursing the baby and totally exhausted -- it keeps me wide awake. Anyone else do this? Anyway, back to bed for us :)


Linking to the pinterest challenge as well as these great parties, I Gotta Create, Handmade Holiday, Lisa's Christmas Craft Marathon, Hi Sugarplum and at Christmas Craft Tutorial. Hope to see you there! 

82 comments:

  1. I don't blog while nursing but I certainly catch up on everyone else's blogs while I am - like right now! I felt a certain comradery with that single last comment ;) We also got married in 2008 and this would be so awesome to do with our program or invitation. My sister would go gaga over this as well! Love it - thanks for sharing! =)

    PS - my friend Ashley married a boy named Ashley... How hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fabulous!!!!!!! i love love love it and you have sparked ALL kinds of ideas in my head! i thank you so much for sharing with us! your creation is gorgeous and everyone should make one for themselves to treasure that special day -- the possibilities are ENDLESS aren't they : ) LOL!!!! thank you so much...adore your blog! sending you all the best wishes for a picture perfect day! hugs...andrea -- family and doxies (heaven and earth)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What clever idea to use a wedding invitation with the date. So special and it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! This is fantastic! I am in love with this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet idea and it looks great too.

    Thanks for visiting me today :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! What a sentimental thing to do with old wedding invites... mine are all just sitting in a box somewhere going to waste!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a awesome idea- I love it and the ornaments are amazing looking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! Thanks for linking back. Your ornament looks AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so fun- what a great idea!! You'll have to post pics of them on your tree! Love!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute idea! I think I'm stealing it to make little Christmas Gifts for my three neighbors who have all gotten married this year. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for reading mine, yours looks great! I love how personal they are, but also chic and stylish.

    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i so love this idea and your ornaments look wonderful! tfs:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic idea! I LOVE these, I would really like to do something like this. Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by my blog : )

    -Brenda M

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for checking out my frame wall! I love these ornaments-I think I'll have to try making some myself. Oh, and I love your gallery wall, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! It is so pretty! Looks like a beautiful rose inside that glass ornament. Thanks for following us over at Swoon Style & Home! I'm your newest follower here! -Shanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful idea and a great keepsake! I love this project. Thank you for linking to the Open House party.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea and while I am not crafty at all I could do this one. I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! These turned out beautiful! I got married in 2008 as well, yay :)

    Myers Maison

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have a friend getting married in January and will be getting her invitation any day now. Love this idea!!!

    Thanks for the comment over on my blog, too :-) Glad to have found you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE this! Yours turned out great! I want to do this for our friends who have married within the past few years (I'm a crazy hoarder and kept invites and programs from their weddings).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jenny these are beautiful! What a great idea, and so easy and so meaningful. I'd love it if you shared these at my Christmas Craft Tutorial Link Party that is going on through December 1st at Project Queen.
    I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your version turned out super cute. What an amazing keepsake you created and you're sure to smile each Christmas when you pull it out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We haven't had a tree yet.. really- we've been married for 3 years and no tree that really "counts." So I am so excited to actually decorate this year and this is on my list. Consider it pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have totally been wanting to try this, too!!! I'm going to have to dig up one of our old invitations from back in 2000!!! May have to go into the attic!!! Thanks for your sweet note on my Fireplace Painted White!!! I entered the Fall Pinterest Challenge, too, you'll have to peek over when you have another free moment!!!

    Aimee @ ItsOverflowing

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is such a great idea! You carried out your inspiration pin quite flawlessly! I'm thinking of creating one of these myself as our "first Christmas" ornament. We got married this past June!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, what a terrific idea!!! I've never seen this before.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sooooo sentimental!! WOW! Nice ornaments :)

    Thanks for sharing :D

    Visiting from Crazy Cute Thur Linky Party today,
    Suzanne in NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is such a neat idea. I love the sentiment and it turned out beautifully. I liked it on the knob. Makes a great replacement for a tassel.
    Have a great weekend. Hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a lovely idea! I'm passing this along to my daughter! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These ornaments are so beautiful! I love all of the ideas you have posted...I wish Pinterest was around when I was getting married!

    I have also posted some ornamental inspiration on my Christmas blog so please pop by if you have time. This week's Pinning & Singing Pinterest party has also started~I would be so thrilled if you could link up this pinspirational post!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha @ 5 Minutes Just for Me

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love these ornaments. I wish I had a few copies of our invitations to make one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a sweet idea, Jenny! This is adorable and so creative!

    Thanks you for linking this sweet post to Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love this! I think I need to do it also; thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks so much for your comment on my Nightstand Makeover!

    I absolutely love your ornament! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a lovely idea and it makes a precious ornament! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. These ornaments are lovely! Where can I find the empty ornaments?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks guys :)

    Mimi -- I bought mine at Michael's because they have those print off coupons, so it was super cheap, but you can find them all over the place. Any craft store is a good bet.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  39. What gorgeous present. LOVE it!

    Coley @
    whatyoumakeit-coley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is a fabulous idea! I have a wedding invitation from a wedding we attended this summer that I am going to do this for. They will love it! Thanks for the "pinspiration"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love your ideas. We do small weddings at our establishment and this is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I've seen this idea all over pinterest too. Each year, my husband and I make each other ornaments. I think this idea is going to be mine for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a creative keepsake! The ornaments look so elegant. I bet they would be cute with some vacation brochures as well!

    Visiting from 2805 Potpourri Party, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful! I was inspired by the same pin, and here's my version:
    http://craftingintherain.blogspot.com/2011/10/great-idea-for-helping-google-reader.html

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is so inspiring! What a very special idea! I would love to make some of these as gifts! I am so happy you shared this @ Show & Share, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I'm totally stealing this idea from you!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Ok WOW WOW--my daughter is graduating this spring and I am SO doing this with her announcement--Thank You so much for such a wonderful, wonderful idea!!!! Seriously, this is the most brilliant idea for a small and special keepsake I think I've ever seen. :)

    Blessings,
    Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  48. What a great idea! And so meaningful. Thanks for sharing at Sunday's Best =)

    ReplyDelete
  49. This is such an awesome idea. They are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  50. what a cute, simple but beautiful ornament idea. love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. AHhh! Love this idea for a christmas ornament... it's so versatile! BTW... featured your project today on Sew Woodsy!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Wow, these are absolutely gorgeous! Sending this link to my brother who is marrying his fiance in May! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Love this- so charming and sweet! Thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  54. This is such a great idea and so very cute!!! I LOVE it! It's a great ornament to have, as your first Christmas as a married couple ornament!! I'm going to have to dig up our wedding ceremony program and do the same thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. If I could blog while nursing it would truly be a miracle. :) Your ornaments are fabulous and so so thoughtful. I know he will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  56. What a cute gift idea...and so personal. I'm really excited about this and will give it a try. Thank you for sharing this fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I just gave you the BEST IDEA EVER AWARD! Please feel free to share this over at my Linky Prty! I am sooo going to try this. I think EVERYONE SHOULD!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Seriously this is so fabulous, beautiful and elegant all in one. I seriously going to be making these for my Christmas tree. I've had two boxes of clear glass ornaments for over 5 years and have never done anything with them. Now I know what I am doing. Thanks so much for sharing at Sunday's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  59. I'm really thinking about making these ornaments, too! I've seen these on pinterest and I pinned them because they are just so great. Fabulous idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  60. This is such a thoughtful and beautiful ornament. I wish I had seen this years ago when my friends and I were all getting married!

    We are hosting a Home for the Holidays link party and I know that our readers would fall in love with these, too!

    http://www.uncommondesignsonline.com/2011/11/home-for-holidays-link-party_08.html

    ReplyDelete
  61. I saw you at Sugar Bee link-up - this is an adorable idea! I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  62. I've seen these floating around, and I think they look so pretty. I love the date at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  63. What a fabulous idea, Jenny! I love that you used a copy of your wedding program and even the original ribbon that held it together. I'm very sentimental, too and totally LOVE this idea! ;)

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday. I hope you'll join the fun this week, as well. Come by tonight and see yourself featured.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hi Jenn, your Wedding Invites Ornament that you shared at Project Queen's Christmas Craft Tutorial Link Party was one of the top 3 projects viewed the most! I will be featuring them tomorrow evening. Thanks so much for linking up and posting the button. Hope you come back again and share another great craft idea.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Me again! I just wanted to pop by and say thank you for linking this post up to my Pinning and Singing Pinterest Party.

    I love visiting your blog and thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas!

    Best wishes and happy pinning,
    Natasha @ 5 Minutes Just for Me!

    ReplyDelete
  66. This is so creative...I just love it! I found you through the Project Queen. I'm a new follower, please drop by when you have a chance. http://decoratingwcents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  67. What a great idea to be able to display items that normally might just be stored away but be too Nostalgic to part with!

    Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  68. This is an awesome idea. I will be featuring it tonight at my Fall into Fall party. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. The party opens at 8pm EST tonight. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  69. I just saw one of these on pinterest and I loved it. I want to do this for all my friends with their wedding invites!

    ReplyDelete
  70. Great gift idea and perfect for party favors too! You're featured this week on Share the Love Wednesday. Stop by and grab a feature button. Thanks so much for linking up!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  71. Gorgeous idea and beautiful photos. Perfect to make for a couple's first Christmas. Thank you SO much for sharing them at the december "Winter Wonderland" party over at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  72. Hi Jen! I couldn't help but feature your DIY Ornament idea on my blog! divagonedomestic.blogspot
    Grab my badge! And thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  73. Such a great project!! It's no wonder 79 people have commented so far!! hehehe

    I'd love for you to add it along with any other Christmas-related projects to my 26-Day Christmas Craft Marathon Linky Party that's going on now!!

    Thanks so much for sharing!!
    ~Lisa
    Lisa's Craft Blog

    ReplyDelete
  74. These are so sweet! thank you for sharing and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  75. My wife and I get a new ornament each Christmas to signify something that has taken place for that specific year. This year we were married. We have not discussed getting such an ornament yet, but I have been online looking for personalized ornaments to surprise her with. I think this is a great idea to surprise her with b/c not only is it still personalized for us, but its with use of our own wedding program and invitation---thank goodness, b/c we have a ton left over. :) Thanks for sharing! Now, I just need to find a glass ornament and box to place it in to wrap and for future storage.
    Cheers,
    Joshua

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)