Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Christmas Card Idea (or, Lots of Photos of Benjamin)

Matt and I have been really looking at our finances recently, and are cutting back on a lot of things. One result of this was that we have decided not to get a professional family photo done. Every year, my family had one done and I love that we have one for each year. Instead, I'm going to see if a friend will take some of us. My family sends out the family picture as a Christmas card. Matt and I had already decided we wanted to send out ones just featuring our little man. Since we won't be going the pro route, however, I thought I'd give it a whirl. I am not the best photographer, but I figured it would be fun to try.

After a few minutes, it felt like it was going terribly. Then, when I was looking at the photos on the computer, I realized that - although no single shot was all that perfect - taken together, I loved how Benjamin's little personality came across. I thus plan to dress Ben up in something cute sometime soon and take lots of photos of him without making efforts to get that perfect smiling shot but instead to capture lots of his expressions and the funny little things he does. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm also researching all the printing options and will fill you in on what I choose to go with and why, in case you're considering doing something similar. 

For now, here's the shots that brought me to this little Christmas card idea. Enjoy!



Jenny

Linking up here and at Hi Sugarplum. Come share your projects & ideas too!

24 comments:

  1. what a FABULOUS idea -- but come on -- how cute is he!!!!!!! : ) hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Groupon has a deal on right now - "$15 for $50 Worth of Photo Books, Cards, and More" with Mixbook.

    Mixbook has a good selection of holiday photo cards you might be itnerested in. Cute and really affordable with the deal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Benjamin is sure to spread the Christmas cheer - just look at how cute he is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot believe how flippin' adorable he is! You have the cutest baby EVER. I just want to squeeze him!!!!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. the multiple shots route is a good one! my brother's friend did something similar for her 1 year old's birthday invitations by using pictures throughout his first year for a little collage card. it was super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaah, he is lovely! And so completely photogenic too!

    Your cards will look amazing!I love that idea.

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, anyone of those would make a perfect card, just printed out on photo paper and sent in an envelope! We have done this for years. Once in a while we get the professional photo but they are ridiculously expensive and with digital cameras these days - why not! I love the last one with his little hat on! Love them!

    You can also upload that image to Costco and have them print it for you and even a 8x10 to put in a frame. He's a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I love the idea of having the photos all put together. He is adorable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, that Benjamin is a heart throb already. I love the idea...super cute!

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, he is just too cute! Love the card ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adorable baby and a great idea for Christmas cards. I like the multiple pictures much better than just one shot. Thanks for linking to the Open House Party.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay he is stinkin adorable!! I would love for you to come share at our link party...junkintheirtrunk.blogspot.com/2011/11/link-it-up-wednesday_08.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tooooo cute! I love how you see so many of his different expressions...would you share this here?

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/11/shine-on-fridays-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute idea! We had our annual Christmas Card photoshoot yesterday and I took 6ooish pictures to get THE shot.

    P.S. Come visit my blog for a chance to win 25 FREE Shutterfly Holiday Cards: http://acraftyescape.blogspot.com/2011/11/giveaway-shutterflys-2011-holiday-cards.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are adorable! I love that idea

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is beyond adorable.
    Would luv for my readers to discover your blog, will you please join our weekly party at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-showcase-tutorial-with.html
    have a great crafting week!
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok, he's adorable. But you already knew that. Wishing my one and only was little again, he just turned 24, {sigh}. Thanks for sharing your doll-baby with us at Sunday's Best =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness he is ADORABLE! I totally understand where you're coming from with finances and photographers. When my daughter was born my husband refused to budge for a pro shoot. So I borrowed a friends fancy camera and got to picture taking. They didn't come out well, and I was so upset and didn't understand how people got such cute shots of newborns. Until my mom pointed out that the baby needs to be sleeping. All of mine were taken when she was awake and crying. Ha. ANYWAYS, moral of the story is I got a few shots that put together made a cute announcement. Wow, this is a bit much for a comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So gorgeous!! And a great idea too, they look fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute! I think it's perfect just like that. If they were "perfect" pictures, it would be a bit boring.:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the storyboard pics too stinking cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! We tightened our belts a couple years ago and I bought Photo Slate to make our birth anouncements and holiday cards. Love it! Super easy.

    I say take out one small picture from one of your collages and put wording, print them 4x6 at home or at costco and Holiday card is Done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)