Thursday, November 17, 2011

Birthday Fun (Antiques, 8 birthday cakes, and more!)

To be honest, I hadn't had very high expectations for this birthday -- turning 28 is hardly a milestone, after all. However, the days (yes, plural -- and I'm not one to try to stretch out the birthday) of celebrating were the kind that make you stop and really appreciate how many happy things are happening in your life and how many good people you have around you. Let me tell you a little bit about it all...

The biggest birthday celebration was actually a celebration of 8 birthdays. As our family has grown, so have the November birthdays. We celebrated my Granny's 81st, Mom's 53rd, brother-in-law Andrei's 31st, my 28th, soon to-be-brother-in-law's 27th, my brother's girlfriend Danielle's 25th, cousin Steven's 20th, and cousin Charlie's 2nd. Phew. 
For 8 birthdays, we had 8 little cakes (in four flavours - carrot, red velvet, chocolate and vanilla).
The party was such a blast. It made me think a lot about how much I love being from a big, close family. Seven of my 8 siblings (Matthew, we missed you!) were there to celebrate along with lots of other relatives. 
My Granny and Mom decided to reverse their numbers. Granny was thrilled to say she was turning 18, and my Mom was happy with 35.
And a few more shots from the evening:
(my godson, Charlie, and I with our party hats on -- all of the birthday boys and girls wore party hats). And more pics: 
My sister Shannon and Chris (remember their engagement party?) also threw a lovely party and my closest friends came to celebrate. We had a pretty epic game of movie charades. It was awesome. So was all the food and wine!
There were also lots of fun surprises along the way throughout the birthday fest(s). The weekend before my birthday, when we were up at the cottage with friends, my friend Pete and I were surprised by our friend Amy with early birthday cakes.
On my actual birthday, Matt took me to explore antique shoppes along Queen Street West in Toronto - but more on that another day. Also on that day, our friends Stefania and Ben sent me the prettiest flowers. Here they are almost a full week later (I just snapped this pic)-- pretty gorgeous, huh? 
And I'd mentioned that Matt and I were going for dinner for the first time without Ben. He stayed at home with my Mom (after the three of us spent the afternoon shopping). All went super well and we had an amazing dinner (for those in Toronto, we went to Brassei, which I highly recommend). 

Oh, and remember when I showed you the Antique Market that we went to as an early birthday present, right here? I mentioned that Matt got me the perfect birthday gift. Here it is! As it turns out, really shiny silver is nearly impossible to photograph nicely (well, if you're me I guess) but hopefully you'll get the idea. 
For those interested...The bottom is marked W.M.Rogers Made in Canada EP Copper, and each piece is very heavy. The whole set is pristine (even the insides look brand spanking new). Since it was the final day of the market for the season, we were able to get the set for $80 (yes, I was there and know how much the gift cost. No biggie). I think it is a great price. Thank you Matt!!! 

All in all, it was one of my best birthdays ever. New friends from the blogosphere even wished me a happy birthday, which was lovely. 
I am really thankful for everyone who helped make it so much fun. I'm a lucky girl.
Lots of love,
Jenny xo

I am linking up here and you should too!! 
Check out the list of parties.

24 comments:

  1. Happy Happy Birthday! I love these great pictures from your big family party. How cute were those cakes!

    I'm so glad you all had a happy time.

    Best wishes for a fabulous year!

    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly a blessing for several generations of your family to mark milestones together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you did have happy birthday fun. I always love to stretch out my birthday to a birthday week---much more fun! I love those little cakes where you celebrated each individuals birthday---such a great idea. I think my family should do that because we have so many birthdays in March, April and May, and June.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun looking birthday bash!! Oh my, those cakes are just awesome too! I'm happy I found your great blog!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, so sweet! (literally, too, I guess. lol.) Happy B-day(s)!!

    P.S. Yesterday was my blogiversary. And I hosted my first giveaway. Come over & see :)

    dans-le-townhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenni,
    Happy Birthday! I am following you too. I followed people for a long time and didn't realize you could add your name to the feed and the picture of the rose would identify me. So, when i followed you may not of had any idea who I was. I have it where it identifies what person started following now. Thanks for stopping by!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jenny! I am stopping by from Burlap and Buttons... thanks for your lovely comments and entering the giveaway! I'm your newest follower and enjoyed taking a look around your adorable blog. Hope to see you again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Grandma has some spunk! What a fun day to spend with all your family. I love the individual cake idea. Hsppy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tea set is lovely! And the cakes are beautiful too. Looks like you have a wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun birthday! I love the small cakes for everyone.:) It makes a group celebration a little more personal.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 28th birthday! Such cute cakes and how special that you got to celebrate your birthdays together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a super fun birthday. I hope you had the best day ever. Great pics and looks like a fabulous party. Thanks for joining TTT. Happy Thanksgiving. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - that's so fun for you all to be together to celebrate!

    Thanks for linking up to Take it on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an exciting birthday celebration! Those are really adorable cakes! Thanks for linking up at Show & Share. I love having you each week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute with all the cakes I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! If your family and friends spoiled you THAT much for your 28th birthday, I cannot even begin to imagine what they're planning for your 30th. ;)

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute post! Super fun B'day. Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog::)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing cakes! And I want to eat one of those cupcakes right now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is GORGEOUS!! Would LOVE it if you would link this up at my turquoise lovin' party! (and red during the holidays!) http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/11/turquoise-lovin-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. I love those birthday cakes. Especially Granny switching her candles. How cute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A new piece for my antique collection would be really great! The whole set looks fabulous! I can see that you have maintained its glamorous look, even though three years have passed already. Antique collections can really brighten up your interiors if you carefully associate it with your current interior design. Anyway, you have very CUTE cakes! Granny will really love her 81st birthday cake. :D

    BuyingValuables.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)