Saturday, November 12, 2011

Adding Pops of Aqua in Our White and Grey Kitchen

Matt and I are loving how our little kitchen is coming together with little more than paint (check that out here) - and spray paint (here) - but after hanging our curtains and living with the space for a while we decided it needed a few pops of colour. One reason is so that it flows with the rest of our tiny condo. Since we live in a small space, we like for their to be continuity from one room to the next (to me, some sort of connection between the rooms in smaller homes - even if the connection is subtle - makes it feel much bigger). 

Since we have soft blues and aqua colours throughout (and love aqua), this seemed like the best choice. That way, we wouldn't need to buy very much but could work the colour in. 
You might notice that little pillow on the left corner chair (an indoor/outdoor pillow from Pier1). That was the start. Then, I used candles that we already had to create a very simple centrepiece. (I should have photographed it at night -- it looks really pretty -- but I forgot). These candles were all bought at either Ikea or on clearance at HomeSense. By the way, never pay full price for candles, they are on mega sale all the time. Stock up when the prices are good. 
The candles are on a Tiffany & Co. serving platter that I scored for only $30 in the original box. I love Craigslist in NYC. We got some great stuff when we lived there.

Anyway, we also bought this fun rug from HomeSense for $28.99. It is an indoor/outdoor rug so it is nice and durable, and patterned enough that spills won't be super obvious (though I can toss it in the wash, too). The rug brings in the aqua as well as some green (an accent colour in the adjoining living room). It also ties in the floor tile colour perfectly, which was more of a happy accident than a conscious decision, and compliments the grey walls nicely. The swirliness (yes, swirliness) goes with the light fixture, too. 
Lastly, the other day when Benjamin and I were strolling around town we popped into Canadian Tire and spotted this on the mistint shelf. It is truly the perfect colour of aqua, exactly matching our rug and pillow (and candles, but those are more temporary since they'll get used up). For $5 it came home with us. 
I am thinking of using it to paint the inside back of our Billy Bookcase china cabinet (here). We had planned to wallpaper that, but $5 seems too good to pass up. I think the white china will pop. 

Oh, and did you notice in this post that our dish soap (stored in this little oil cruet that you can see here) is aqua too? I love that. I'm a complete dork. (It is Sunlight Hand Replenish with Silk Protein, if you are weird like me and care about the colour of soap on your countertop). 
We're going to shop the house for a few other things to add in. They don't all have to be a perfect match of this shade - like our little bowl that we did a makeover on (more on that here).
I think some of our Christmas decor will work well with it too. Here's some shots from last year. This year I'm mixing in navy and emerald, too, in the living room but a few of these blue and silver ornaments will wind up in our kitchen. (More on last year's Christmas decor here & here)
Jenny
xo

PS Thank you so much for the sweet birthday wishes on Thursday! I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to get back to you personally if you commented in the last few days but I will!

Linking up here. Come share your projects & ideas too!


Update: Don't miss out on this amazing throw pillow giveaway (until 11/26). Check it out here!

60 comments:

  1. So pretty! I really enjoy seeing your little NYC place.

    ♥Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that rug! Painting the backs of the bookcases will really make that pop like you said! Love how it is all coming together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the POP!!!! it is so elegant and wonderful! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! PS. Linsey, we are actually in Toronto :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenny...thanks for stopping by! I've totally enjoyed visiting with you for a bit ~ love the color combo in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny
    Lovley Post...and nice colours :)
    and do not miss....

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    It´s FUN :)
    WELCOME
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the touches of aqua! It is perfect for this time of year too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those colors! Your place is gorgeous:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything is gorgeous! I love aqua...anything aqua. Your kitchen so so charming and the candles are perfect on the table. Thanks for sharing your beautiful home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The touches of aqua are lovely. It is such a great color. Very pretty.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenny, i LOVE your kitchen!! White and aqua is a dream color combination and that Tiffany serving platter... SWOON! Your blog is such a great source of inspiration!
    Thanks so much for visiting and commenting on my little blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have a picture up, yet, but your cabinet looks very similar to mine. Mine is filled with turquoise, white, and silver.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the color, and your china cabinet looks gorgeous. Great job!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Classic colors- love the kitch space!

    PS Newest follower :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the addition Jenny!!!

    Aimee @ ItsOverflowing

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your kitchen and the soft colors!! Looks like it's going to be a beautiful Christmas at your house!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely accents! I really love the two chargers on the bottom of your china cabinet--they really are very eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the lamp shade and the rug. Don't you just love it when you find things that work together, especially the paint. What a find that was! Thanks for sharing at Sunday's Best =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great color, Jenny! I just saw teal and aqua at Hobby Lobby in some of their silk flowers and was admiring the color today. It seems to be popping up in lots of accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jen, I love that color! You've done a great job of adding that coloring in splashes here and there! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the turquoise, it is so pretty and all the white just makes everything pop. That rug is a great find also, and of course the dish is stunning. Your Christmas decor is beautiful, it will look amazing in your kitchen. So pretty. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi,
    Hopped over from Martys. I love turquoise. Last year we painted our island and fan hood turquoise. Still loving it. I pop mine with red and a bit of green. Love all of your candles. Your entire room looks so soothing. Great job! Now following you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So happy to have found you through NTT at Coastal Charm. I love the gray color on your walls, and turquoise looks great with it! Can't wait to see what you have in store for Christmas decor!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your rug goes so well with your other things. I love its swirliness! Hehe! When I do a kitchen redo, I'm going to use white and gray with a touch of turquoise. I think it's a great combination of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very pretty and special and modern. Love it!
    Hugs,
    Lisa
    the enchanted oven

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your color combination is so pretty. You aren't the only one with a color obsession (your soap!). I have aqua Listerene Mouth Wash in a wine decanter in my master bath since the aqua is my accent color. I don't even like the taste but it looks so GOOD!

    Robin
    Robin Flies South

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've been loving pictures of home decor lately with aqua accents. Though red's my favorite color, I've gotten an entire board at Pinterest dedicated to aqua home accents. I have an upstairs bathroom in bad need of a makeover. Maybe I'll make it my aqua room. This was great inspiration! Thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE! Aqua, grey, and white is one of my fave color combos. You china cabinet looks lovely with your china and the touches of turquoise.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your blog, Jenny! Always enjoy all the details (yes, I "worry" about soap color too :) ), and your lovely little place. It's so upscale and beautiful. Your great taste shows! (Oh, and what about that beautiful Tiffany tray?! Wow!)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jenny, thanks so much for dropping by. Those candles are beautiful. I have some old candles that I can never figure out what to do with. I'm thinking I can clean them up and perhaps display on a tray. Thanks for sharing. I'm your new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a soothing color palette. I love your sparkly dish display!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the colours! Totally up my alley. I'm a new follower.

    ~Steph from Silver Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  33. So much inspiration here, that I will bring back to Sweden. Lovely, indeed!

    TY for sharing.

    Greetings from a chilly Stockholm,
    /chie

    ReplyDelete
  34. LOVE this look in your kitchen!! I love the gray and white with pops of aqua!! Next house, I might have to try this color scheme!

    Thanks for linking up to Take it on Tuesday blog hop!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love your color scheme and you have great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very nice colour addition. Your place is lovely. Thanks for sharing at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is a beautiful color scheme! And perfect with the holiday decor.

    ReplyDelete
  38. That rug is just perfect for your lovely home, Jenny. I'm glad I'm not the only one popping into Canadian Tire to check out the mistints ;) Love the mix of aqua, white and greys.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Looks great, Jenny! Love the colors :) I am in the process of painting the back of my china cabinets with a blue/green paint, and I'm loving it. Hopefully, your new paint will work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, chic color scheme- I love aqua!

    Thanks for sharing and smiles :)

    Visiting from Days of Chalk And Chocolate (Latest and Greatest) Linky Party today

    Smiles, From Suzanne at WhyCuzICan
    (Tweet Dreams pillow entry)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, this is soooo beautiful. And I especially love your picture wall with the baby in the center...that is perfect in my book! Yay all your decorations are just lovely and I love your color scheme. I have a little suggestion if that would be ok...on your white buffet with the reindeer and decorations how about using your aqua color in a table runner underneath all the decorations to add a bit more of your color!
    Absolutely wonderful post!
    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Jenny...

    Ooooh...I really do love this beautiful shade of aqua that you have added to your dining room, my friend! It's very elegant and soft all at the same time! Love, love, LOVE your new area rug! It really is perfect with your color theme and decor! I really enjoyed all the beautiful Christmas decor as well! You have a beautiful home, Jenny! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    Sending you and your family warm wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving!

    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  43. That's a terrific color, Jenny! I've looked at all of your posts that you have linked to Potpourri Friday and each is so interesting! Thanks for for sharing at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  44. LOVE it! Such an inspiration! Fabulous!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie this week! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love it, especially what you've done with your hutch and kitchen table. ♥♥♥.. I'm in envy .. I'm your newest follower. would love a follow back. ♥
    http://sewcraftable.blogspot.com
    -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  46. beautiful kitchen!!! the pops of aqua are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Aqua, gray and white are awesome together. Great choice your kitchen is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  48. How beautiful. I adore your china! I like the color choices, they are really cool colors and have a very clean feel.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I LOVE it!! Thanks for linking up with us and hope you join us again this Wednesday! Happy Thanksgiving!

    Marie
    mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. I really love the pops of aqua. I will be featuring it tonight at my Fall into Fall party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love the pops of aqua you added. Your home looks wonderful!

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love everything about your place...you have a talent for decorating...the rug is so pretty..the candles are so cozy and your baby is super cute! Thanks for linking up, I drool over your place...Oh - I'll be feauring this post, hope you'll come back and link up again!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Very pretty colors. Good choice on the rug. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)