Friday, October 14, 2011

My Baby Boy Nursery - Updates

It has been a busy week and I've still yet to upload my photos from Thanksgiving (Canadian Thanksgiving was last weekend) and other projects I want to share soon, but I do have some pictures I'd been meaning to show you of Benjamin's room. Not too long ago, I showed you his nursery here - if you missed it, might want to check that out first. Anyway, we've made a few changes and I snapped a few pictures of some other nursery details to show you today.

I decided that, in showing you the space, it was better not to stage it. Sure, removing some of his (masses of) toys would make it look more streamlined and well put together. And yes, he has too many books for that little bookshelf to really look very stylish. And I know that things like the baby oil bottle and stain remover spray are clearly visible next to the change table. But so often the nurseries I see are ones that don't really look like a real baby lives there. Beautiful, yes, but realistic? Not so much. So - clutter and mess included - here is how Ben's little slice of the universe looks day-to-day. 
 The "rain drop lamp" (calling it that makes it seem less girly) was purchased when this was our home office. It was $70 from HomeSense. 
 Recently, we were given one of these sweet wooden hot air balloons by one of Matt's friends. We loved it and decided to pick up a few more. I tend to like how things look in groups of three. 
We intentionally hung them here because (a) it gives Benjamin something to look at while he's nursing or we're reading in the chair and, most importantly (b) because they are next to the vent and the air flow makes them look like real hot air balloons drifting through the sky. Trust me, it's cute. 

Here are some more shots of the bookcase. In our tiny condo, we need to sometimes sacrifice form for function. This little bookcase does a good job of storing a ton of stuff. 
The train art is a cross-stitch my mother did that used to hang in my little brother Mikey's nursery 20 years ago. I didn't bother to reframe it, as I like having it as I remember it from then.
 And, as we showed you earlier, we framed a greeting card we received for some free art. 
 On the reading chair are two pillows - a green one from Pottery Barn purchased several years ago when we lived in NYC that we re-located from the living room, and a little ivory monogrammed boudoir pillow (with gray stitching) from RH Baby and Child. The navy blanket was handmade by my Aunt Marian. 
On the table next to the chair sits a clock, lamp, and this beautify coin bank from Birks, a gift from my friend Heather and her family. Love it. 
I also showed you his nursery art in the last post on his space, but wanted to give you some closer-up shots (though couldn't get a great shot because of the reflection on the glass..). 

They are really such fun images with so much great detail. The artist is Anais, of GalerieAnais on Etsy, based in Paris. She was a gem to work with. 
 Since I was ordering a whole bunch, Anais surprised me by sending this bear print for free. It had been out of stock when I placed the order and I'd mentioned that I loved it. How awesome is that? 

Here is a shot of the other side of the room, which boasts a nice sized mirrored closet and a cheapie Ikea hamper. 
 I'll give you the full tour of his closet (and inside his dresser -- that baby is organized) soon. Here's a peek. I think storage baskets are such a must for tiny baby things. 

 The labels were printed off on my home printer using leftover cards from the invitation kit used for my baby shower. I don't even mind that they are getting a little worn from use. 
As you saw in the previous nursery post, we have these great braided wool baskets for toy storage. I plan to get another for the family room to keep more toys in there so these guys are less full.  
 Here is a shot of our simple white crib. We decided to forgo cute bumpers because we read a lot about them being unsafe. Now that he is bigger and will be sleeping in here soon, however, (he's been in a cradle in our room), I am wondering if they'd stop our squirmy sleeper from getting his little limbs caught between the bars... ?
The beautiful white knit blanket was made by my best friend Kate's sweet grandma. (Kate is one of the only people I know in real life who actually looks at my blog. Hi Kate!)
 One quick tip: We keep three of our fitted sheets on the crib at any given time now that Benjamin is napping in there. That way, if he spits up or whatever, I just remove a sheet but don't have to wrestle a new one on while trying to soothe my little guy. Makes life easy.

Here's another tip: I keep stain remover right next to the change table. If stains happen, I treat 'em right there, then toss into the hamper and don't have to worry about it setting in. I recommend the one we have -- BabyGanics Stain Remover. 
 And, finally, here is how the room looks from the tiny hallway that leads to it. Ignore the little towel drying on the door -- like I said, we're keeping it real over here.  
Jenny
xo


P.S. We are slowly working on getting Benjamin to take an occasional bottle, and soon will be moving him to his own room and crib at night. Any suggestions/advice/tips for us newbie parents for these two things? We're feeling kind of challenged right now...


Linking to some of these fabulous places, and you should too!


UPDATE: Galerie Anais is offering three fabulous prizes to Simcoe Street readers. Click here to enter!

41 comments:

  1. Just darling, I can see why you bought another of those wooden balloons! The are perfect for the room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Am working on our nursery as well. Always great to compare ideas. Love that print - will have to go look those up, for sure! Thanks for posting, liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet nursery. I love the balloons and the rain drop lamp is just adorable. Not bad of a price either! I hope your little one enjoys growing up in such a beautiful space. Thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it all but the art from Paris and the hot air balloons caught my eye immediately; I think those are items that will be able to remain in Benjamin's room for at least a couple years without feeling too babyish when he is a "big man".

    I recently saw a segment on the Today Show addressing the issue of baby bumpers in cribs; they talked about the safety hazard (smothering) of using them but showed an alternative of a fine mesh fabric attached inside the crib to keep arms and legs in but allow the baby to breathe if he rolled up against it. There might me some information about this on their website if that helps any with your decision about what to do.

    Have a great weekend,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your nursery is beautiful. We use a breathable bumper in our LO's crib, and it works great for keeping his arms and legs from getting stuck, but it is still breathable. Its a great alternative and comes in several colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very elegant. Don't be afraid to let him cry a little bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Benjamin's room is just precious!!! Nurseries have come a long way since mine were little! Love the light fixture! It is all just perfect! :)

    Thanks for stopping by to visit my blog! Come Again~~~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenny! :) Love the post. Little Benjamin has such a gorgeous nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful nursery!! So sweet, calm & serene, and HIP!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great room for a cute Canadian boy! Happy Thanksgiving from one Canadian to another!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet room. I love the balloons, the lamp, the monogram pillow....everything is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the nursery - the touches of color on white! Awesome job.
    As a mom of 6 - do not be afraid to let him cry for a few minutes and with the bottle keeping trying and trying until he finally takes to it - eventually he will.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic post!The nursery turned out great and beautiful colours. Love the cute touch.Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saw you at BNOTP, I am playing there too. But, what a great walk through of the room. Love your comment about Kate being the only person in "real Life" that reads your blog. I know the feeling. Neither of my sisters read. I email it to the Mom's and a few friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i absolutely love his room. benjamin was our 'second' choice for a boy name. it is so classic and cute. i tell all mommies you need to check out cloudsandstars.com. they sell something called a zipper sheet which will change your life as far as changing your lil' one's bedding. no joke... check 'em out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This nursery is lovely. Every single detail works perfectly. It's bright and very welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Benjamin is a lucky boy to have such a beautiful room!

    Thanks for linking up to Potpourri Friday. I appreciate your participation.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute nursery! I'm working on a nursery for our soon to arrive third boy! I love the white look, too. And I've been eyeing some Art on Etsy, as well, better get on it!
    My only advice is to check out the book called, "On Becoming Babywise"... It was my baby bible as a first time mom! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love those prints. The whole space is modern and clean...

    Could you please, Jenny, redo my boys' room???

    I am fresh out of energy.

    lol...

    no seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They make great "vented" baby bumpers that are basically just mesh that hooks onto the bars of your crib to keep baby's limbs from getting caught. I've never put bumpers on my kids' cribs, but I've been tempted many times by the baby-safe bumpers since they're not padded, but I can still keep baby's little limbs tucked away nice and safe. You have an adorable nursery! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the breathable bumper tips - and I'll have to check out zipper sheets. Your comments all mean so much to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is SUCH a beautiful room! It *almost* makes me wish I was still having babies.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cute. I love so many of the details though especially the area rug and hot air balloons. I'm nearly finished my daughters nursery. Hopefully by next week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love his nursery. Each and every item is gorgeous. I love those hot air balloons. Those are super cute. Thanks for partying with DIYbyDesign.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely adorable! Love the wall art collage and the cute balloons hanging! Lucky boy to have such a fun room : )

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful! I LOVE your gallery wall! Great job ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love Benjamin's room! and I bet those hot air balloons are darling, moving in real life

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's a beautiful nursery. I love the photo collage.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Okay this isnicer thatn my big girl bedroom!
    Kim @ reposhture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a fresh looking room! The art on the wall is darling, and the hot air balloons are a fun addition to wake up the corner. I like that you kept the lamp, too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. There are so many things about this room that I adore. You did such a beautiful job. It feels so peaceful. Thanks for linking to the Home Decor and Organizing Link Party. I featured this today on my blog. Come by and grab a featured button if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  33. LOVE it! Thanks so much for linking up with us at Show & Share! Can't wait to see you again on Wednesday!

    Marie
    mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's a totally lovely nursery! So bright, simple looking and gorgeous! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's, I'm featuring your nursery this week!

    ReplyDelete
  35. So cute--I especially love the hot air balloons. Great job on the whole room and thanks for sharing at my linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  36. So beautiful. I love the entire feeling of the room. Makes me want to get our little guy's room back in order after moving earlier this year! Good luck with the bottle and crib... I know it can be tough at times, but you'll get through it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. That is so true, must staged nurseries are unrealistic that there will be lots of toys and clutter when you have a baby. I love the hot air balloons and children's art photos. They really add a lot of character to the nursery. What were you thinking for baby boy bedding? Something with a light grey are powdered blue maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  38. I found you on Pinterest. You have fantastic taste! I love how you decorated the nursery. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a beautiful nursery! I love all the details. Especially the hot air balloons,

    ReplyDelete
  40. I am in love with your nursery! Can you please tell me where you got the hot air balloons?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)