Monday, October 3, 2011

Living Room Reading Corner

Sometimes the best way to freshen up a space is to remove something. 
For the longest time, this corner of the living room bothered us. It was so cramped, with a too-big chair (purchased two apartments ago for an entirely different kind of space) and a tall dresser and some other junk. We have windows (well, sliding doors) to the floor, but your view of them was totally cut off by all that furniture. See?
See how the chair totally blocks the window?
 We moved the dresser to our storage locker (which we are slowly turning into a very functional pantry/baby supply zone/seasonal decor storage space). 
This allowed us to open up the space without buying a new chair (we really want to, but it is not in the budget at the moment). And, since the wine fridge broke and we had this little file cabinet drawer (it was homeless since we turned our home office into a nursery) we used it to house office supplies, files, and to function as an end table. The room now feels so much bigger. 
(Ignore the mess of cords that we need to deal with behind the chair. Ick.)
The best part is that we never really sat in that chair before, but now it is a favourite spot to read, feed Benjamin, or have a late night glass of wine/cup of tea. 

Oh, and do you like my new pillows? The green one Lauren by Ralph Lauren, found at HomeSense for $19.99. I was super psyched when I saw that the ever so stylish Miss Mustard Seed has the same ones.  The black ikat pillow is from Milk and Cookies, a Toronto-based etsy shop, for $20, which I'd highly recommend! (You might remember, I featured some of their other pillows right here in the past). Please tell them Jenny @ Simcoe Street sent you!
Jenny
xo

P.S. Excited to share more of the living room updates with you soon!

I am linking up to some of these awesome blog parties. 

Also -- did you know it is National Fire Prevention Week? Robin knows a lot about what it is to lose your home in a fire and has a giveaway going on in honour of National Fire Prevention Week. Visit her here. 

30 comments:

  1. Looks great! By the way, you came up as a no-reply commenter so I am not sure you got my responses to your comments. I wanted to thank you for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this problem too and it was brought to my attention by another blogger. I wasn't sure what to do so I went into my account and made sure my gmail account name was the same in all the fields. I had input a different one at some point and I guess that was the problem for me. It is a bit confusing though and when I googled it I found a bunch of different things people suggested to do. Also, make your email address public and that may do it! Good luck! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, found this!

    http://eisymorgan.blogspot.com/2011/07/blogging-tips-tricks-are-you-no-reply.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that ikat pillow. So pretty! Thanks for the nice comment on my blog. :) Christina @ The Scrappy Housewife

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Ikat pillow is wonderful. Love the design. And I like the Ralph one, too!

    I can't get over how moving that one piece truly did open up your view. Neat!

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny! Oh, just beautiful. Lovely pillows.
    Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! Taking away something can really change the look...Sometimes I am so busy adding I forget to keep it simple and basic/functional!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving those pillows! Following you now too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pillows! Now, you can read in style!
    Thank you for popping by!
    Kerry at housetalkn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenny - Love your blog!! AND I totally agree that sometimes less is more!! I love how just that one change opened up the window :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi Jenny. You found a way to add storage to your space and it looks great. A way to make your space more functional and great pillows add fab to your room. Great ideas. I love the doors too, they look pretty and bring in light. Thanks for sharing your LR.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  12. A reading corner? Jealousy!! THe pillow makes it so cute... I could stay for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it makes a big difference and looks awesome! Great job! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am loving the black and white pillow !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful combination of the ikat with the green pillow against the cream colored chair! I love the floor to ceiling door as well looking out to a beautiful city view. Lovely corner to sit back and enjoy some quiet time. Loved having you over. Happy week!~Poppy

    http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks great - sometimes we think we need to keep all of our furniture forever but this is a good reminder that you can store it away or even sell it and your home will look better

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it!!! Love the print on the pillow and the poop of green.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha! I picked your blog to visit from Kim's WUW... it was that cute pillow that attracted me. Then I click on it and realize you're the sweet girl who just left so many nice comments on my blog! I love the way you've opened up the space, and created a lovely reading, baby-feeding nook. Nice job:) Following you back!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's really pretty. You know, funny as it might sound, your place gives off a really nice 'vibe'...even through the computer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks great. Love the filing cabinet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The corner looks so much better...I LOVE it! What a perfect reading nook. Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks great, Your window is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi lovely lady.
    I love your new pillow from Ikat.
    Jenny you did a great job putting your room together just by moving out one piece.
    I would like to thank you so much for your sweet comment on my new fall Tablescape.
    Have a great week.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been DYING to turn one of the many empty spaces in my home into a reading nook. Totally jealous of yours! Super adorable. Stopping by from Southern Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your room looks so much better. Love how the chair takes center stage now. It looks very comfy.

    Jocelyn @
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. That looks so inviting! I would love to read in that corner. I love that beautiful pillow! Thanks for sharing at Show & Share! I am glad you linked up!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a very nice improvement to your reading corner. Nice job!

    Thanks for sharing this post at Potpourri Friday. I appreciate your participation!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I so agree with you! Removing a few things can totally change a room. And how thrifty is that! Your corner looks much more inviting now. Beautiful! Thank you for being part off TTF and have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi I have a quicl question about the chair. I know this was written in 2011 and you said the chair was purchased 2 years prior, but do you recall where you ourchased it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)