Sunday, October 23, 2011

Easy Wine Cork Centrepiece

A little while ago, I started tossing wine and champagne corks into a jar instead of the recycling bin, not sure what I'd end up using them for. As our stash of corks grew, I found that I had enough to make an extremely easy, inexpensive centrepiece. 
 I love the natural texture of corks as well as the graphic writing on each one. I think that, grouped together en masse, they look really cool and bring a warm, interesting element to the table at almost no cost (assuming you're like us and would be drinking the wine anyway). 
 For a dinner party, I added a runner and two simple tealights in green glass bowls (Boston bowls by Villeroy & Boch). 
 This is truly a lazy, penny-pinching gal's way of creating table decor. 
If you wanted to recreate this, all you need to do is save some corks, find some sort of glass bowl or vase (I'm using a simple footed trifle bowl found ages ago for just a few dollars on clearance at HomeSense), and choose a candle. And FYI, I think a candle that is contained within it's own glass or metal container would help make this safer, as corks can burn - but you shouldn't leave your candles unattended anyhow. Flameless candles would be great too.

Made anything cool with wine corks lately? Tell me about it!
Jenny xo


PS. I hope you all had a lovely weekend. We were up at my parents' cottage (which you may remember is where we recently spent Canadian Thanksgiving). It was beautiful but chilly weather. Look at my little guy all bundled up in an old snowsuit from one of my cousins that we found up there!

And a little reminder about my awesome giveaway. Check it out right here. Three winners will be chosen on October 27th.

I am linking up right here and so should you!

23 comments:

  1. so simple and elegant! thank you for sharing something that can give years of ideas and uses!!!!!! take care and wishing you and yours the best day ever...hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny,

    What a great idea for using (as opposed to tossing) wine corks! I also love the texture, color and graphic elements of wine corks and a glass bowl allows all that to be seen. I also recently pinned the following: http://pinterest.com/pin/361291915/
    which are letter sculptures (such as the better "B") made out of wine corks which could be displayed on bookshelves, etc., so there's another idea.

    Robin
    happilyhomeafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I always have wine corks around, now I know what to do with them. They look great surrounding the candle. Now I also know what to do with my triffle bowl! haven't used it yet. Luv it if you shared with my reader at Sunday's Best Party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I think I need to drink more wine! LOL And what a cute bundle of sweetness your little man is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your wine cork idea. I've just become your newest follower. I'm very new to the blog world but I love it. I hope you come check out my blog. http://sister-number-5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to do this....sadly I won't have to wait to have enough corks...we have plenty already...pinned this, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun way to use the corks. I love the idea. I have a few that I'm saving, so great idea. You little guy is just adorable in the snow suit. Too cute. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea for how to use leftover corks! I will have to try this. Your munchkin is so precious!

    Stopping by Chef-n-training

    Lifewiththehawleys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your little guy is adorable. What have I done with wine corks? I did the same centerpiece a couple of months ago. It's a great look on the cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a clever idea. I must remember to save up the corks from the holiday season parties.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this!! I did something very similar to this for my fall table!!

    I'm stopping by from the Show & Share blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your cork and candle centerpiece. Great conversation piece and a way to recount memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this idea. We have boxes of wine corks saved waiting to do a project... I like this idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this idea. I need to save my wine corks and do "something" with them! Thanks for stopping by my space!

    ~Courtney~

    love2sisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a great idea! You're little guy is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a simple idea, but beautiful. Love the pic of your little snuggle bunny! Thank you for sharing and linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a wine and champagne cork freak, Jenny. In fact, a champagne cork was a huge part of the logo for my company. They just have that certain "something" about them that makes them a great decorating tool! Even though I'm retired now, I still collect corks and have about 2000 of them. (Did I mention I also have an apparent drinking problem? ;-)) I don't think this was a "lazy" centerpiece at all...just using available resources! Have a happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this idea--all the corks are so unique. Lots of memories around that centerpiece! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Back again to say Thank you for sharing them with us at TTF and have a happy November 1st!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey girl! You won last weeks giveaway! Yay! Come on over and collect your prize and thanks for linking up to Crazy Cute at Between U & Me. ;)

    Www.betweenuandme.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super cute idea~ thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing your cork centerpiece on latest and greatest friday! It doesn't take much to make a big impact! And your little man is so sweet all bundled up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)