Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Canadian Thanksgiving - Part 1

I have finally uploaded my photos and am excited to show you a few snippets from our Thanksgiving weekend. I'm calling this part 1 because we actually spent part of the weekend at the cottage with my parents and family, and part of the time at Matt's parents' home. 
It was a gorgeous weekend with unseasonably warm weather and even better company. My family is large (I have 8 siblings, plus tons of aunts/uncles/cousins/etc). Thirty-three of us gathered together for dinner to celebrate thanksgiving (slightly bigger than last year). A few of them were friends of Matt and I whose families are far away, and we were thrilled they could join us. It is always an open-door-the-more-the-merrier mentality with both of our families, which I love. 
Here's some photos of the big day. 
(I've included some shots of the decor, the dinner, and the cottage itself).
Sunshine, simple decor, delicious home-cooked farm fresh food, and friends and family. Anyway, I'll just let the pictures do the talking. 
 Click READ MORE to see lots more photos from our big dinner!

As you can see, the cottage is quite a peaceful retreat from the city. And only an hour drive!
 It can accommodate a lot of people. I didn't snap pics of the bedrooms and bunk rooms, but one day I will and I'll do a post on how to fit a ton of beds in a tiny cottage. Here are some of those people snacking/cooking/chatting. 
 And you can buy the best veggies up there. 
Three colours of cauliflower!
More random shots...
 Benjamin is already a Leafs fan, of course. 
Here's the odd but awesome table arrangement we configured so we could have all 33 people enjoying the meal together. I loved it. 

And a few more shots of the food. What's Thanksgiving without food, after all. 

Our family has a tradition of going around the table and taking turns reflecting on things that we are thankful for. I felt like I had a lot to say this year. I'm a lucky girl. 

Happy belated Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canadians!

Jenny xo




28 comments:

  1. Swimming, in October?! It sure was a great weekend.

    That's a lot of food. Who did the dishes? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an amazing get together..lots of work but certainly good memories followed. CUTE baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely - nothing better than spending the holidays with family and it certainly looks like you have quite a few. Thanks for sharing, liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely gathering. Love when family and friends come and join the celebration.

    Makes the moment fantastic.

    TY for sharing...

    Greetings from chilly Stockholm,
    /chie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome place to celebrate Thanksgiving! The food looked delicious! Thanks for stopping by refresh restyle!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIRTY THREE people...WOW!!! Sounds like you had a FABULOUS Canadian Thanksgiving!!Aren't we all so blessed!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. 33 people? That sounds a lot like our holidays when I was younger.

    I am totally in love with the wood beams in the living room. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I love that you all get together. Such wonderful and precious moments and memories. Love the house and the beautiful outside areas. Fabulous. The tables look amazing and such a wonderful feast. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great time! What a pretty location to enjoy the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous setting to have a Thanksgiving dinner! I bet you had so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like you had a great Thanksgiving, Jenny! I am impressed that those tables were able to fit and everyone could eat together. It looks like you had some great weather, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post on your Thanksgiving celebration. Your pics of the cottage are lovely - looks like a wonderful place to relax. I sure miss getaways at Ashby Lake and in Harcourt Park.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love holidays when the family all gathers ' what a lovely place and looks like it was a wonderful time as well. Precious times!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun time! Glad you shared this with us and hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving. Something tells me you did!

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  15. How wonderful to be able to share a fabulous Thanksgiving holiday with so many loved ones, family and friends.. looks like everyone had a great time!! The photo of the little baby with the ML hat is priceless .. like he is saying - you better score this year guys, I had no choice in the hat!! lol... Happy belated Thanksgiving...HHL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. and I am 100% jealous of those cauliflower colors!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jenny!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!!
    I love this Thanksgiving table and decor, so warm and cozy and yet elegant!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a wonderful time for you and your family. Thanks for stopping by and adding your link to Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now that is what I call a beautiful family Thanksgiving...lucky you, Jenny. I am in Manitoba, btw. Loved seeing all your beautiful photos...awesome. I have joined your followers list and invite you to join my followers list; as well,I hope you will grab a blog button. Hugs, Gayle
    http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. holy beautiful! that is an amazing place for a family gathering! lucky you!

    oh, and i have the TWIN to the adorable dog in the photo! if you have a sec, check out my post on "dogs on design" and you'll spot him.

    thanks for the visit to my post earlier...and for the comment!!

    amy

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so happy to see your post; I was just thinking about your blog the other day and that I needed to visit. What a lovely family gathering, and such as special place! Thanks for sharing the day with us!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing your Thanksgiving!! It looks very warm and loving and LOTS of fun!!! Your baby is adorable!

    Happy belated Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't been to your blog for ages!
    What a great cottage, I love the rugged feel of it.
    Congratulations on your baby boy, I'm so happy for you.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  24. First I have to say you all have the best, biggest family and friends get together I have ever seen..WOW! and I bet it was the best day ever..Happy belated Thanksgiving to you all..
    Second, they say everyone has a twin somewhere in this world. The man in the 11th and 14th picture looks so much like my late brother John. Made my heart skip a beat..
    Also my mom was born in Canada..how cool is this..
    Have a great weekend,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely photos of your family Thanksgiving. The cottage looks like a great family spot. Hubby and I hosted 25 of my family for Canadian Thanksgiving, so you beat us in numbers. The food looked delicious. I would love to do it all over again just for the food.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That must have been a fun Thanksgiving. I joined in on one with a dozen or so people - a mini version of yours!
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks so lovely! The food & company look perfect! What a great gathering! Thanks so much for sharing this @ Show & Share!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)