Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Super Easy Ice Wine Martini Recipe

dRecently I showed you the engagement party we threw for my little sis Shannon (one of my five sisters) and her fiance Chris. Since they're getting hitched in Niagara-on-the-lake (stunning wine country, for those not from the area) we served lots of wines from the region. We also had a few specialty cocktails, including an amazing ice wine martini (I only had a few sips, since I'm exclusively breastfeeding and didn't want to overdo it -- these drinks are stronger than they taste!). 

It was a total hit, so today I thought I'd show you how to make it.
The secret to making these taste extra awesome is the grape garnish. Unlike olives in a traditional martini, this one calls for something fruity and fun. Enter frozen, sugar-coated grapes. Once they're swimming in the martini, they aren't overly sugary but instead add just the right dash of sweet and compliment the ice wine flavour. I don't love ice wine on its own (though it is an Ontario specialty) but in a cocktail or poured on a little ice cream it is pretty undeniably great. 

Ok, back to the grapes. 

First, you wash a bunch of grapes. Then gather your other supplies: a plate/bowl of sugar, a bowl of egg whites, a freezer-safe tray, and some little cocktail sticks. In a pinch, you could totally use toothpicks.

Dip/brush the grape with egg whites. We just dipped because we're lazy like that. Then, roll the grape in your sugar. You can do a bunch at once to save time. 
Next, as my mom demonstrates, you put the grapes on the cocktail sticks. 
We put one red and one green on each stick. Easy peasy. 
 While you're putting them on the sticks, if you have your own version of a Benjamin it sure helps to have someone around. Here, Matt and my sister Meghan hung out with Ben (essentially hypnotizing him with a screensaver) while my mom, sister Christine, and I speared the grapes. 
Lay your grapes-on-sticks on a tray (we had to use a cookie sheet as all trays were employed elsewhere). When full, stick the tray in the freezer for a while. Voila!
Now for making the drink itself. You will need:
1. Premium vodka (your fave type) [store in freezer before using]
2. Ice wine [keep it nice and cold]
3. Your frozen grape garnish
4. Chilled glasses

Place your frozen grape garnish in the glass. Pour in 2 oz ice wine. Top it off with 2 oz vodka. 
Stir gently and enjoy. Yum. 

Made any good cocktails lately? Tell me about it!

Jenny

10 comments:

  1. This looks yummy!! I love cocktails that include wine, especially after either being preg or nursing for the last 2 years, now that I'm doing neither I can only handle wine!! :) I've never heard of ice wine though. Is it a certain type? One I can find in the states??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, those look so good. I'll have to try it (after I'm done with the whole pregnancy and nursing thing!). I adore Niagra on the Lake. I went there in the late 80's as a teen and think of it often. I need to go back soon, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fab idea! I can see these will be my Thanksgiving, pre-dinner cocktails this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. JENNY! WE are two peas in a pod! I am sooo going to make these!
    Thanks for stopping by my place!
    Kerry at housetalkn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, This looks and sounds great. This is a keeper for sure. My daughters and I could do some damage with these. Thanks for sharing. Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacey -- see the update in the post to explain what ice wine is! Thanks for the comments everyone, they totally make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Thanks for the update! I didn't even know that was possible with grapes! I see why I didn't know about it since it seems to be a huge Canadian thing! I've gotta look into it! Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have never heard of ice wine! i will have to google that. it looks soooooo good.

    Jenni x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A woman after my own heart. LOVE MARTINI's! I'd love for you to share this at my Linky Party! www.projectqueen.org
    Can't wait to try this. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this looks yummy (and you could play it up for a particularly decadent adult Halloween martini ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)