Friday, September 30, 2011

Living/Dining Room Framed Family Photos

One of my favourite pieces in our living/dining room is our large china cabinet (it is a piece by Martha Stewart purchased about 5 years ago at Macy's in New York City, when I was living there). Until recently, we hadn't really done much to decorate around it. With a quick trip to Ikea, we inexpensively added some framed photos of family and friends and helped make that part of our space feel much closer to finished. 
This is how it looks now. Rather than stage the space, I left our stroller and everything where we park it and as is -- keeping it real. (Oh, and the white chair is an extra for our expandable kitchen table that now sits here to make room for a high chair, etc. soon). 

If you are looking to do something similar, choose your photos so that there is some balance. On the left, we chose two photos that featured groups of people, and one of Benjamin (at less than a day old!) in the centre. The two group shots balance each other visually. On the other side, we have a large group shot from our wedding in the centre, and smaller groups balancing each other on top and bottom. 
Here is how it looked before.
And not too long ago, we experimented with inexpensive modern art from HomeSense. We loved the art itself, but hated how it looked in our place. Returned it all and went back to square one. And then, as we looked at photos one day and realized we wished we had more on display in our place, we opted to just grab some simple Ikea Ribba frames and call it a day. We're happy with the decision. 
This is much better.
One last thing.... Here is a wider shot of the space. If you've been reading for a while or have poked around and seen pics of our living room taken about a year ago (you can see it here), you'll notice a lot of updates. I'll be posting about them soon, but for now here's a hint at some of the things we've added or changed. The room is a bit askew here, and there is someone napping on the couch, but you get the idea. More to come soon.

Jenny
xo

24 comments:

  1. It really makes a big difference. I'm a big fan of symmetry and this is awesome. Fills the space much better. Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comments. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the framed photos. I'm so neglectful at hanging art & photos, but I can really see what a huge difference it makes! Great job!

    PS: I'm your latest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The frames look great around your beautiful cabinet. I like all your new things in the space - but the new baby is especially cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I love these frames with some family pics...looks outstanding!!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new pillows and the new baby on the sofa! (baby is definitely the cutest!)

    I think it's great that you tried the other art option...but the photos definitely work best for this space. I think if you switched out the photos for prints in the SAME FRAMES, it would also look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Family pictures always personalize spaces beautifully and I love these Ikea frames...picks up the color of the cabinet and looks beautiful against the wall color.The baby is looking so adorable sleeping there.. Great post! Thanks for sharing and for visiting me. Have a great weekend!Hugs~Poppy

    http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely complements the hutch much more than the previous wall arts. I love it. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks great, but I like the new baby the best.

    Happy MM,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  9. bahahaha I love how you labeled your newborn with the pillows! <3 I needed a morning laugh =)

    Your living room is gorgeous!!!! So happy to have found you through the link party! <3

    xoxo
    jenn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it and i love the symmetry! I'm becoming more and more into that since I'm always looking at restoration hardware lol! great job come hang my pictures!

    candace

    www.candacecreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Jenny. Simple touches really can transform a room. Although I think the adorable baby is a pretty big one! That's a great way to display family photos and love the new pillows, scones and rug.

    Hugs...Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love family photos! Yours are just perfect and enhance your dining room! What an awesome addition!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't go wrong with family pics and IKEA frames! It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog! You have amazing decorating ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aaaah, I love the way you've labelled the baby in amongst the cushions!!

    Your pictures look amazing either side of your beautiful cupboard.

    Thank you so much for linking up to my Fall In Love link party!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, beautiful home and pictures! I love that you labeled the baby "new baby". Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on the new baby! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the photo collage. It looks nice on either side of the entertainment center. I am working up the energy to do a photo collage myself. I also am a fan of the cute new baby! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The photo frames really makes that lovely piece of furniture pop. Luvin the new wall sconces also. And of course lil Benjamin just adds that special touch to those new pillows. Things are looking good on Simcoe street.
    Hugs,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  20. The framed pics really makes you cabinet pop :) Lovely but most especially the cute baby!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE that new baby on the couch--how sweet is that?? I think the new picture display looks amazing. It was meant to be there! SO glad you shared this @ Show & Share. I love seeing your projects week after week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the balance, it really suits the space! We've got our photo's/art on a gallery shelf we made from pallets while we decide where to hang things on our very blank walls!!
    Love your cushions...and your new baby's pretty cute, congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think the frames really balance it out, great job! Love your pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  24. looks gorgeous! love that stately black cabinet- so dramatic!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)