Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ikea Kitchen Curtains

When I posted pictures of our kitchen - where we painted the walls and cabinets grey and white, respectively -  I don't think I gave the details on one of the most transformative elements in the room: our new window panels. Let me tell you a little about them, as they were super duper cheap and took almost no time - two awesome qualities in a home design project. 

Let's backtrack for a moment. Before scooping up our current curtains, I visited several fabric shops on Queen Street in Toronto. After finding fabric that I loved, I was quoted $650 for four panels and a roman shade for my little kitchen. Crushing. I tried a fabric that I loved less, but the price hardly budged. Bummer. Clearly, there is a mega downside to having big windows and an inability to sew. 

We thus decided that we'd find some simple curtains for the room and aimed to spend as little as possible. I knew I wanted something to soften the space, something that would keep it feeling light and airy (so something more sheer) and that I wanted them to go all the way down to the floor (about 97"). 

Then something highly unusual happened -- while picking up some frames at Ikea, Matt chose the curtains. He even said he liked their texture. Apparently, all of my jabbering away about design ideas sunk in a little. So, obviously - since Matt rarely picks out home things - I jumped to buy the curtains. I was all the more eager when I saw that they were $19.99 for two and plenty long enough to go from ceiling to floor and machine washable. If you're interested, they are the Matilda curtains, available here. We used a wire hanging system from Ikea to hang them (since our windows are too close to the walls for traditional rods) and are digging the industrial-ish look of them. 

Lastly, since I didn't want the look of tab pockets, we used a pack of these. We didn't even cut off the tabs, just folded 'em and clipped 'em. Easy as pie (is that even a saying?).
So, here's the before of our curtainless, orangey-wood kitchen. 
And here's the curtains after. 
Jenny

18 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny, I think the curtains look great and I love your white table and chairs! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I'm your newest follower! Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the whole look of your kitchen. Great redo with the greys and whites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This all looks so great! You did a really wonderful job! Everything fits perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great! It is amazing the difference they make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the curtains - absolutely LOVE Ikea! Your kitchen is gorgeous!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look darling. They really and an extra layer of texture to the kitchen. I cheated and did the same thing in my bedroom, folded the tabs and clipped. I'm a cheater too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work! Those curtains are perfect for your space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those curtains look awesome!! Love the whole kitchen actually!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous kitchen~so fresh and pretty~and I love the curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love your kitchen! What a deal on them too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your curtains look just terrific along with the table and chairs. I like the redo!

    I would be delighted if you would link up to Potpourri Friday! Linkup starts on Thursday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just at Ikea. I need to head back there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your whole kitchen with all the greys and whites. I think it's just great that your husband found the curtains. They really do soften the space. Love your white table, chairs, and cushions. (They would never stay white at my house!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving all of your white, Jenny! The texture of your curtains are just yummy! Gotta love IKEA!!! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks so fresh and pretty! Love your taste!

    ReplyDelete
  16. the kitchen is so inviting I just love all the white and the light..love the new curtains

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a great looking space! The curtains added a great hominess to the space!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your kitchen looks great! So fresh and airy! I am linking to you via the creative blogger's party. I hope you will follow back. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)