Thursday, August 11, 2011

Benjamin's Nursery

I am so excited to share little Benjamin's nursery with you today.

First, I have to say how mad I am that I have no "before" pictures. This room has undergone a major transformation. When we first bought our place, this room had hideous, old taupe carpet, a brass boob light, and dark green walls. The room is tiny (8'x10') and why anyone chose dark green is beyond me. Painting it (Behr's Linen White) changed it completely. Then a cheapie lighting change helped a lot. Next we installed a customized closet thanks to a generous gift certificate to a closet company that my in-laws gave to us after my father-in-law won it at a golf tournament. Then, last Christmas, my parents gave us an awesome gift -- new wood floors here and in our bedroom to get rid of that terrible old carpet. Before becoming a nursery, this space was our little home office. The only elements of that space that remain are the wall colour and white chair. The rest is all new (or new to us, in the case of used finds) for our little man. 


We are really pleased with how it turned out. Here is Benjamin's teeny tiny nursery (warning: lots and lots of photos to follow - click on "read more" for all the details):
Here is Benjamin's bookcase.
Many of his stuffed animals were mine as a kid, like this little fellow.
We received this card at a baby shower and I thought it was so sweet I popped it in a frame.



This lighting fixture was only $70, purchased for our home office. At first I thought I'd need to replace it since we were having a boy, but I decided I liked the rain drop like glass. When he is older, we'll get something more masculine but for a newborn I think this works well. 
Ivory and grey wool baskets hold his toys.
Art, found on Etsy, brightens the room. Though it was hard to get a photo without glare...
 If you hang art like this above a change table, for safety, I highly recommend securing the lower frames on at least 3 sides using command strips. They don't damage the wall but make the pictures very secure when little arms and legs are flailing about.
This ribbon is there just to make us laugh. When my husband was a newborn, his mother entered him in a baby beauty contest and he won. We find the concept of a baby beauty contest sort of hilarious. 
A nice spot to sit, read stories and feed Benjamin.

Of course, we have a spot for never-ending laundry (and a cute overnight bag for Benjamin).
 
 And there you have it, a sweet little (and I do mean little!) nursery.




Soon, I'll share lots of tips on how to utilize a tiny space for a nursery and on how to create tons of storage in it. Our nursery is uber-organized and functions really well. I love it. 

To see some beautiful nursery ideas, see this post from when I was very newly pregnant and daydreaming about creating our own nursery space. 



UPDATE: GALERIE ANAIS IS GIVING AWAY 6 NURSERY PRINTS TO SIMCOE STREET READERS. CLICK HERE TO ENTER BY OCTOBER 27TH.


Catch a Glimpse Thursday * Creative Juices Thursday * Thrifty Thursday * It's a Party * Delightful Order*
Share  Your Awesomeness * Design Dazzle * Sunday Showcase * Think Pink * Sunday Favorites
Metamorphosis Monday * It's So Very Creative * Creative Bloggers' Party * Wow Us Wednesdays*
Share The Love * Sugar and Dots * Southern Lovely *Feathered Nest Friday * House of Hepworths * Feature Yourself Friday * Remodelaholic * Brambleberry Cottage * Funky Junk Interiors * Tuesday Talent Show*Made By You Monday * Motivated Monday*Just Something I Whipped Up*Making the world Cuter*DIY By Design
Fabulous Friday*Dittle Dattle*Primp*Thrifty Decor Chick

46 comments:

  1. Oh, how cute. I'm so excited you let us see the nursery. It is just darling. So many cute things. You did a wonderful job, Jenny, and Benjamin is a blessed baby!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY cute!! I love the art on the walls and the lamp! Great job. :)

    Third Floor Design Studio

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love the porcupines. I just linked my nursery remodel at A Glimpse Inside.
    http://mrmagnificentandcompany.blogspot.com/2011/08/our-first-home-part-4.html
    I'm also following. Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful! I especially love the art over the changing table, it is so sweet! Thank you for sharing, I'm your newest follower.

    Brie from darlingdoodles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! It looks beautiful by the way. I love everything about it, including the clean, warm feel of the whole space. You do look super organized and it all seems to fit just perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sweet room. check out our link up party to share your darling nursery!
    thanks : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute, Jenny! I think you did a great job and babies don't need much room. As a grandma now I'm finding it's more the toys that need their own room! Love the ceiling fixture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all looks so sweet ! Isn't it so fun to decorate a nursery....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Jenny! You've got so much creativity and I'm admiring them all. Can you please share your creative posts at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this space! super sweet room for a gorgeous baby!
    Lina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Stopping by from Kidspired Creations (www.kidspiredcreations.blogspot.com). I saw your link on Design Dazzle. I actually had the same little mouse stuffed animal as a child and my boys still have it too! I get asked all of the time to paint wall letters, but I actually love the simplicity of your white letters for Benjamin. Really classy! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an adorable nursery and beautiful baby!! Thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful baby and nursery. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet nursery, Jenny! Congratulations on your little bundle of joy! I had three of them myself; all precious! Love the crib and 'Benjamin' above it. Enjoy him because I blinked and mine were all grown up.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jenny nice to see you back around here. A huge congratulations on being a new momma....welcome to motherhood. talk to you soon...xo
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jenny...

    My friend, it was soooo nice to hear from you! It has been awhile. Thank you so much for joining up with the Sunday Favorites party this past weekend. What a sweet and totally wonderful post to share with us! First of all, many happy congratulations on your precious little Benjamin!!! You certainly did create the most beautiful nursery for him. And...I love, love, LOVE the light with the pretty crystals! Yes, I think it's fine while your baby boy is small! He may object when he gets older...but then, you never know! Hehe! I just love the light, airy feel of this room! It really is beautiful!!! Ohhh...and I love the framed art wall! Gorgeous!!! Your attention to all the sweet details is FABULOUS!!!

    Warmest summery wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful baby boy! and a lovely nursery too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE this! I featured it today at my Delightfully Inspiring Thursday party.

    http://delightfulorder.blogspot.com/2011/08/delightfully-inspiring-thursday-party_17.html

    Feel free to grab a button for your blog, if you'd like.

    DaNita

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my! This is such a sweet nursery. The last picture is the best one though. :) So much love went into this. You did a fantastic job!

    I would love to have you link this up to my first link party--

    http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/show-share-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just saw that you already linked up--how funny!
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks fabulous! Great job! Love the art above the changing table.
    Thanks for linking it up to last week's Catch a Glimpse party!

    ReplyDelete
  22. absolutely beautiful!! I LOVE the color scheme!! and you little one is adorable!! enjoy every minute!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very cute nursery. A little nursery for a little boy. My daughter had a very small nursery in our old house in Ohio. I called it the box. I was so sad when we moved bc it ended up being my favorite room in the house. I will eventually add pics of it. Now you got me thinking. I love new ideas. Thanks for the inspiration on a new post. New follower from the hop. Hope you could stop by my blog and follow back at tootsabellarose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. You did a great job! Love the details and the light. I hate when I forget to take before pics :(

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a cute little space for Benjamin. And you were right to leave the light. It won't make a difference for many years to come. Love the final pic!!!

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is such a labor of love! Thanks for linking up at Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awe - what a sweet nursery! popping over from Feathered Nest! xoox, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi there...stumbled across this post looking for nursery ideas. Can I ask where you got your crib?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi there -- thanks for your comments! The crib is from a Toronto store called Little Niblets and Baby Sprouts, and is made by a company called Pali, but I don't know any more than that. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a lovely nursery for your little Benjamin!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How charming- your nursery is so sweet! Love all your touches and the lamp too! Thanks for sharing this at FNF :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. So cute! I love that light fixture! I might come steal it and put it in my house! JK! And I love the "benjamin" spelled out above the crib!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Little Benjamin's nursery is adorable! Such a happy place! I loved that light fixture and the letters you attached to the wall. Blessings to you and your new baby boy.

    ReplyDelete
  34. So sweet and well done! Love it! Looks like it is really peaceful! Found you via Brambleberry Cottage. Pop on over for a visit when you get a moment. Tootles, Kathryn
    http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/08/what-do-you-see.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Love this room! So cute and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Just LOVE all that white! Benjamin is such a lucky wee boy! Enjoy every PRECIOUS minute with him...it's over far too soon. :)

    Thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog...

    Hope you can visit my very favourite re-do for the month of August!

    http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com/2011/08/mmmmmi-love-stencils.html

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congratulations! Your nursery is great, I'm going to pin some of the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  38. this is SUCH a CUTE nursery! Love it! Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again tomorrow with more great projects!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi! I'm Nicole from Romanian Princess. I saw your blog on a link up and decided I better add you! Please return the favor and follow me back at:

    www.romanianprincess.com!

    XoXo Nicole Mariana

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is such a beautiful nursery. Just goes to show you don't need lots of room, the art is lovely. Oh and such a sweet touch with the ribbon.

    Benjamin is such a lucky young man.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Jenny, what a cute and functional space! Very well done. Glad you suggested that I come take a look! Your blog is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love what you did with the space. I am due December 2 and having a boy (also naming him Benjamin!). The nursery in our house is about the size of yours and similar shape too. I love what you did with the space, it is so cozy and beautifully decorated!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog! Your nursery is darling!! I tried to follow your blog and the join button is gone. That has been happening to my blog too. I hope google fixes it soon. I'll try again later!

    ReplyDelete
  44. WOW you have talent. I would love for you to design my house one day (that is when I have a house)... AMAZING! - Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)