Sunday, November 14, 2010

Wine Crafts

Here on Simcoe Street, we tend to go through a lot of wine. And sometimes some beer, whiskey and other drinks when we have company over. What can we say, we like our parties...

Remember my little beer bottle turned dish soap dispenser/oil cruet from a little while back?

The projects I am about to show you are all also done in the spirit of reusing the refuse of those nights with good friends and a good glass of wine. Each offers a very creative and beautiful way to reuse your wine bottles or corks. They're giving me ideas of what to do with the wine corks I've been collecting... Enjoy!

This is one of my favourite craft projects that I've come across so far in blogland. Katie at Food Wine and Mod Podge used glass etching cream and clear old wine bottles to make these fabulous liquor storage bottles. Aren't they amazing? 



Here's a peek at how she did it, but see her blog for the details:



Courtney at A Diamond in the Rough created these wine bottle hurricanes. This is super cool, right? This seems like it may be beyond my skill level (cutting off the bottom of the bottles sounds hard) but I think the end result is great. I could totally see Pottery Barn selling these with a hefty price tag...


The talented and lovely Three Sisterz made this amazing wine cork wreath. It looks easy enough, right? And it looks amazing! I'll be adding this to my list of must-try projects... This would make a great gift, too.


Paul at Dudecraft showed these wine bottle wall vases, and I think they look great! So pretty.

And Design*Sponge featured Abigail's wine cork coasters and trivet a little while back. Practical and cute!

Finally, Kristin at Bridal Buzz showed these cute champagne cork place cards. These could be great for any sort of event, be it wedding or birthday party or whatnot. A small dinner party would be great too, and they could also label foods and such on a buffet at a more casual affair. The look could be changed by using wine corks instead, perhaps laying them flat. In any case, I think they're great!

Hope you found these ideas as inspiring as I did!

Cheers,
Jenny
xo


Wanted to share these amazing crafts with even more people, so although they are not my creative products, I'm linking with Happy Hour. Hope the featured bloggers are ok with that!

22 comments:

  1. LOVE all of these ideas, especially the wine bottle hurricanes! thanks for the shout-out!

    molly
    www.threesisterz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks--I especially love the wreath. I will have to keep saving the corks! My hubby has been throwing them out.....that will have to stop now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these ideas! I really like the glass etching cream turning the bottles into decanters. I have to try that! That would even be a great Christmas gift! Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog. You have a lot of great ideas too.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing my cork place card post with your readers! I absolutely love the beer bottle turned oil cruet project you shared as well, I might have to steal that idea... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What cute ideas. I love the wreath the most. I have been saving my corks, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am crazy about corks! Love the wreath. What clever makeovers! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the hurrican lamp idea but I foresee bleeding hands... Not pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are all such great ideas! I need to start saving corks again, and now bottles too. I've enjoyed looking through your blog this morning, it's all great stuff! Thanks for your visit :))
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for the feature!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The candles inside the bottles are actually kind of dangerous...I would never use those inside a house! A candle develops a lot of warmth and that can finally explose the whole bottle...I have learnt that the open side of a jar/ bottle/candle cup etc. should NEVER be smaller than the diameter of a candle:/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leena -- that is good to know, thanks for that important info!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe I'll just add that flameless candles could be a great solution for this kind of thing then, right? If you were thinking of making these, listen to Leena and opt for flameless please! Safety first :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all these ideas, the cork wreath and the wine bottle hurricanes and yes, I could totally see PB doing these for hefty price!

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jenny,
    Thank you so much for visiting "Home is Where the Heart is!" its a pleasure to meet you..
    You have some really great and fun idea's. I just passed on your blog to a friend who I know will love your post..
    Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun post! I love repurposing wine bottles. I have a couple ideas up my sleeve but I think Ill add a couple more to my list now. I love those wine hurricanes.

    Thanks for stopping by earlier and leaving me a note on my baby shower post! :) Glad to have found you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Emily -- I'm now following you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jenny,
    Wow... I love these ideas especially the wine cork seat place holder... oh, I forget what they are called..

    Thanks for the visit to my blog and taking time to leave a comment... I am going to head back to your blog and see the rest of the goodness!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jenny, LOVE all your ideas, especially the cork wreath! I'll be trying make that for mom for Christmas! Be sure to link this up tomorrow night to Happy Hour!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww thanks for featuring my wine bottle hurricanes!!!

    And Leena, I used battery operated candles, not real candles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Courtney: Good! Then I am not so afraid:D But there is a lot of people who do not realize the dangers of flaming objects...Like here in Finland some of the teachers set their pupils to make candle cups out of old babyfood cans (those glass ones) - and every autumn there are some warnings in the newspapers about those:/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am pinning this entire post- love it! Thanks for stopping by my blog, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)