Saturday, November 6, 2010

Our Golden Flatware

I was just about to show you a simple breakfast tablescape when I decided I first wanted to show you the flatware I'll be using in it. This flatware is a gold-plated and was made by WM Rogers & Son. I am unfortunately not sure of the pattern name.

I hadn't really been in the market for gold-plated flatware, but came across this lovely set and couldn't say no. A young woman in New York was selling a bunch of (what I consider) gorgeous things. She called them "stuffy old crap she inherited from grandma." She said she really just wanted to get rid of it and didn't care much what she got for it "since it was free." I asked what price she had in mind, and she said $36 for the set. That is, $36 for service for 12 plus serving pieces. A part of me did not want to take someone's special heirloom. She told me there was no one in the family who wanted it (in fact, she said they all "hated it.") I bought the whole set for $36. When I use it, I tell myself that somewhere I am sure her grandma is happy to see that someone is treasuring and using her special flatware. 

Here it is in the case it came in:







Isn't it lovely?
For me, $36 well spent!

Jenny

9 comments:

  1. Amazing! I am glad you are using grandma's gold pieces. When we moved to our new house, the former owners did not want any of the "grandma" furniture. We obtained a gorgeous Thomasville china hutch, a Drexel secretary and the most amazing bedroom set, that may be 100 years old (in excellent condition I might add). Thank you for giving the flatware a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous Jenny ! well done :)
    i'd respond the same ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very love, Jenny! This is such a special set!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that is an amazing set, and it looks great with your breakfast tablescape! i'm loving what i'm seeing so far...i definitely need to poke around some more!

    thanks so much for stopping by the cape on the corner, and for your comment on my harvest decorations. i truly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really enjoying your blog! What a silly girl. I bet her grandma would be happy it went to someone who will love it! It is beautiful! Can't wait to see it in future scapes!
    Thank you for following. I see you mention NY. I am on the East end in Southampton. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny,
    I just love the gold flatware and how you have used it in your breakfast tablescape. It does make the table look especially elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Corinna121 -- you probably won't see this, but I wanted to contact you to thank you for stopping by but no blog, email or website appears on your profile. Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  8. The family may not have kept it but it found a loving home =) At least it din't get bent into jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! that is a great price, damn near free for what you got!! love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)