Monday, November 15, 2010

I'm Dreaming of a White (and Silver! and Blue!) Christmas...

Christmas decorations are slowly going up here on Simcoe Street. 
There is lots to show you, but it is not all done yet -- in fact, we haven't even bought our (first!) tree yet. Hopefully, we'll do that this weekend. 

In the mean time, I thought I'd show you how we've decorated the little dresser we bought at a garage sale that sits in our living/dining room. This dresser was $25 and we had plans to refinish it, but haven't yet. For now, I kind of love it as is. One day, she'll probably become an antiqued creamy gray colour. Or, if we have a baby, it may become antique white, soft pink or soft blue and live a new life as a change table. Or... well, I could go on with ideas for this piece...

Anyway, back to Christmas. I showed you the Christmas touches in our china cabinet here. Now let me show you what we've got going on on the dresser...


 I love how the shape of the mercury glass candlesticks mimics the classic shape of the ornament. 
 As do these little round candles, set atop these mirrors from Z-Gallerie that I showed you when I used them as wine bottle coasters here

I just love these blue jewelled trees. 
And the handsome reindeer, which you first got a glimpse of here


And here is the big reindeer snowglobe. My Mom and Dad gave this to me for my birthday last week. Isn't it great? I set it on top of a white square cake stand with some mini ornaments (already on clearance! $2 for 27 at Home Sense). 
A bit tricky to get a good photo of...


To start out, I had fewer things (you might have noticed that in those last pics), but felt like the trees and reindeer being the same height made this feel a touch blah... The candlesticks and little round candles added some light, warmth, height and interest. 
But here it is in its earlier stage, just so you can see. I am sure I'll be changing it around a lot between now and Christmas...
 (And just as a reminder, here is how it looked before I Christmasified the dresser)
And in this picture, you can spot a stack of boxes -- those hold all of our ornaments. 
 Last year, I found these boxes very inexpensively at Century 21 in NYC. I bought them to serve as a gift box to wrap Matt's gift in with the intention to reuse them after as ornament storage. The fact that they go so well with this year's colour scheme is a happy accident. 

 
 And that, my friends, is how we have decorated our little dresser. Thanks for checking it out!
 
Please feel free to leave me a comment (I truly love hearing from you and discovering your blogs through your comments) and maybe even become a follower of Simcoe Street - I'd be so honoured :)

Jenny

25 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny,
    Love Christmas decorations! I was looking at your post with the teacups and it really doesn't qualify as a tea post. I do like your teacups however and would be happy to include you in my tea party should you like to do a post around them. Thanks for your visit. I'm starting to decorate too.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Sandi, thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! And I'm very jealous....I am DYING to get our Christmas decorations out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for visiting my blog today. I couldn't find your email contact so hope you don't mind my responding here. I am glad I stopped by your blog as well. I love your little dresser and it always makes my heart glad when I run into other folks who see things for what they can be and not just what they are at this moment. There is so much great furniture out there wating to be rescued! And if you never do a thing with this one it looks lovely just as it is. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny, Your vignette is looking great! The snowglobe is perfect. I really love the art too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all looks beautiful! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the reindeer. It is looking very lovely, festive, merry and bright. Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those candlesticks are calling my name. They look so nice in your arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your vignette is lovely~ I love the colors, sparkle and symmetry! Hopped over from Boardwalk Bragfest...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning vignette. Thank you for sharing on the Boardwalk Bragfest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great dresser! I'm loving those colors for Christmas this year too:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! I'm loving the reindeer! Would love for you to share at my Holiday link party!

    http://kraftykat76.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Christmas decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute! Great job!!! Those are such fun Christmas colors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's all so very pretty! Love the dresser, Thank You for visiting my blog! Have a blessed day ~hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  16. All of your decor is so pretty. What gorgeous vignettes. Beautiful. Thanks so much for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  17. You dresser looks very festive :-) I love the reindeer and the touches of sparkle, and the snow globe is charming - the reindeer inside look almost magical!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are my favorite Christmas colors too! I'll be busy decorating soon. so be sure to stop by for a visit! That dresser is great btw!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm completely doing the blue and silver thing myself this year, so I'll be watching to see what you do too!

    If that snow globe is missing, I'm your prime suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is sooo pretty!! I really like that painting!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Jenny. I was so pleased with them.....after what was basically just messing around with ribbon and then suddenly...TADAAAA!!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jenny,
    Love your decorating! Great ideas and colours.
    I appreciate you dropping by for tea and your kind comments. Hope we see you soon.
    Blessings, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your decorations! I haven't started yet, maybe this weekend.
    XoXoXo
    Joy

    http://christmasspiritallyearlong.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. The deer are so pretty. The green shining through the globe is so fun! Love your title for this post too. Thanks for joining the Christmas party!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful! I too love the old mercury glass! I am a new follower and hope you will stop by and say hello!

    Merry Christmas
    Jamie~your Innkeeper
    Applesauce Inn Bed & Breakfast

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)