Monday, November 22, 2010

Decorating the family tree at Mom and Dad's House



This past weekend, my brothers and sisters, our partners, and my grandmothers gathered at my parents' house to decorate the tree. Thought I'd share a few photos.


My favourite thing about the tree is that the ornaments have been collected over years and years, with a large proportion of them being handcrafted ones done by each of us as kids. It makes for a very unique and sentimental tree. Some trees are perfect and match wonderfully. This tree is perfectly imperfect, and I think that is the way it should be. 





The tree is artificial (we're very fire-safety conscious people) so it had to be assembled...
 Which took almost no time...
 While this happened, we had lots of snacks to feast on, like this amazing baked brie with baguette. 
 Then, we brought up the big rubbermaids of decorations.
 And started hanging them all over the big tree. Here's a few photos I managed to snap:



 Once the tree was all done, it was time for a casual dinner (the table is big because our family is huge!)
Soon, Matt and I will decorate our first ever tree -- one that we've managed to score for free!
Can't wait to show you
Jenny
xo

10 comments:

  1. Is it typical to decorate a christmas tree THIS EARLY over there?!?:O I am amazed:D Here in Finland mostof the people decorate the christmas trees just a night before christmas or in the christmas morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For free!! HMMMMMMMMMMMMM, you have me wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, I love the tree! I also have lots of handmade ornaments from my kids, I'm sure my mother has mine (I would hope!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely idea. I know it is a joyful time for all. Those old ornaments are the best ones. They carry so many memories. You did a great job and now Mom can be free for other things. "Like Cooking!"
    Love that you are scoring a free tree.
    When my kids were growing up their dad, a salesman, was always trading things for a Christmas tree. Sometimes a a case of soup, sometimes a case of paper towels. You get the idea. It was always fun to see what he traded.
    Funny, I hadn't thought about that for years. May you have blessed holidays. Hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tree is wonderful and what a fabulous treat to all be together to decorate it. I love it. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Jenny, that's SUCH a lovely idea to all gather at your parents' house. And what a tree! It looks BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tree looks great and what a fantastic spot to put it in! Lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved that you all decorated together. Just what this season is about "Family".

    ReplyDelete
  9. You tree is so pretty and I just love that bay window it is sitting in.

    -Rene

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jenny,
    Your family tree looks wonderful all wrapped up with family memories.I too love all the different ornaments collected through the years.
    It very pretty!
    Have a sweet day and hugs, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)