Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Our Bedroom: Time for Some Light!


One of the worst things about our condo when we bought it were the lights. 
I wish I had photographed them. You have no idea how much I regret not photographing them (or so many "before" things around here). But I had no idea I'd ever want to show them to someone. So you'll have to use your imaginations.

In our bedroom, there was a hideous, dirty, ugly (insert more words like that here) single bulb flushmount in the middle of the ceiling that offered no real light but managed to draw your eye to itself just by being scary. 

We would love a beautiful antique chandelier, but weren't finding what we needed when we were out looking. Then, I came across this little guy. The reason it was in our budget? It is plastic, and you had to put it all together yourself. This is harder than it sounds. But I sat in front of the TV and three movies later I was done. Here she is!


What a difference this makes in the room. 
You can see also see the ceiling medallion we added to the room, 
and our ugly popcorn ceilings that we decided we are just going to live with. Ick.
(No one so far has been able to tell that it is plastic, 
and the Simcoe Street residents [Matt and me] are very happy with it)


While I'm at it, I thought I'd show you my other recent bedroom purchase -- this pretty little antique clock found at a shop near my parents' cottage over the Thanksgiving weekend. The clock is sitting on my nightstand - you can spot a few other things (like a wedding picture and our Restoration Hardware knock-off crystal and silver lamp base) in the photo, too. 

I hope the bedroom will be ready to show you soon -- you might have noticed we have no window treatments, among a lot of other little projects to be done in here. All in good time...

Jenny
xo


Update:
Since some people wondered about where I found it...
The chandelier was found in the clearance section at Home Depot because someone had bought it, opened it and returned it. It was missing a thing for the chain but we didn't need it anyway since we were cutting down the chain and wires because our ceilings are unfortunately not very high. You can find it at Home Depot along with a lot of other surprisingly nice plastic ones. Canadians may want to check out Canadian Tire, too, where a lighting sale is going on. 

  • TIP: Someone once told me to only use 40W or less with plastic, as a higher wattage bulb will make it look faker. We've been really happy with it and the lower wattage still gives us more than enough light.



Since this chandelier was such a steal, I'm linking up to Nifty Thrifty Tuesday's at Coastal Charm and Chic on a Shoestring's Flaunt It Party -- come check out people's thrifty home decor.
Also linking to Fingerprints on the Fridge
These Creative Juices * Tatertots and Jello
Whatever Goes Wednesday * Hodge Podge Friday
Strut Your Stuff at Somewhat Simple * Simply Designing
Shabby Chic Cottage * Show and Share * Funky Junk Interiors
Sawdust and Paper Scraps * A Little Lovely
 Antiprocrastination party at New Nostalgia. 
Show and Tell Friday * Southern In My Heart
Making It With Allie * French Country Cottage + Sumo's Sweet Stuff
The House In Roses + Savvy Southern Style

26 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny - that chandy is lovely! I so want one like that but my hubs insists on a ceiling fan:( Oh well! I am going to start follwoing your blog I really enjoy your content! I hope you'll do the same!

    Lindsey @ Domestic Goodness

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chandelier is just gorgeous! It's hard to believe it is plastic. Great find! Much much better than a flushmount fixture for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous chandelier! Love your header! lol I hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both the clock and chandelier are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely, looks so beautiful:))
    Greetings from Europe, Biljana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Cool! You have to share where you got the chandelier from?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should have said where!!

    The chandelier was found in the clearance section at Home Depot because someone had bought it, opened it and returned it. It was missing a thing for the chain but we didn't need it anyway since we were cutting down the chain and wires because our ceilings are not very high. You can find it at Home Depot along with a lot of other nice plastic ones. Someone once told me to only use 40W or less with plastic, as a higher wattage bulb will make it look faker. We've been really happy with it and the lower wattage still gives us more than enough light.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, you scored on that chandelier! Three movies later, lol! I LOVE how it looks and if by some chance the plastic starts to cloud up you can spray paint it glossy black, or Tiffany blue or some other fun color when you redecorate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! You guage time like I do! LOL Where did you find this little gem?
    You should come link this up at my Making It With Allie Party!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jenny! Wow! I cannot believe that is plastic! It is so gorgeous and you must feel so proud for putting it together yourself! Thanks so much for linking this up to my party this week and sharing this great Inspiration. Hope to see much more of you in the future!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jenny~ This chandelier is AMAZING!! I absolutely love it! The chandeliers in my kitchen are from the 60's and have pieces of them that are plastic as well-no one can tell! I host a decorating party at my blog on the weekends if you would like to join up sometime- love this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the chandelier...I didn't know they had them in plastic. It looks so real. I know how you feel about the popcorn ceilings....I'm living with mine too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks beautiful and plastic shmastic, who could tell....Nobody, that's for sure! I also have OOgly popcorn ceilings...Eck, but I'm afraid they're here to stay...Thanks so much for sharing! Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete
  14. It doesn't look plastic. It's simply beautiful! Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is gorgeous!! I can't believe it's plastic?!

    Also love the clock, I have the same one but mine is an antique knock off from Hobby Lobby. We have good taste don't we... ;)

    Thanks for linking my Flaunt it Friday party. I'm really enjoying your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hard to believe that it is plastic. Very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jenny,
    Just back by to say thank you for joining Feathered Nest Friday and sharing this fantastic chandelier!! Cannot believe it is plastic- it looks just amazing!! Hope you will come back and share some more of your finds and projects soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a super chandy ~ plastic you say??? Can't believe it, its sooo pretty. New follower. Dee

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is a beautiful chandelier and I would have never known it was plastic. Looks fabulous!
    xo, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's fantastic! You could have shown this, and not one of use would ever have known that it's not glass, or crystal. Looks like you two are just too adorable - I'm looking forward to reading your blog!
    Cheers, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jenny, thanks for sharing this post again. I love that chandelier. I looks real to me. I would not have know if you had not mentioned that it is plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my, it is stunning. What a fabulous find. Love it. Your little table clock is fantastic also. Can't wait to see the room. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks great & no, you cannot tell it's plastic.
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just stopping by from Kim's B&A party! What a beautiful chandelier! Makes gorgeous reflections and looks so real!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kim sent me over!
    What a lovely chandelier :o) Looks a million dollars to me!

    ReplyDelete
  26. i saw this chandelier at home depot and wanted to buy it. months later i'm ready to buy it but it's only online. i was skeptical of it being plastic but it's good to hear that it doesn't look like it, because it's for over our dining room table.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)