Monday, October 18, 2010

Pretty Painted Pumpkins

I wanted to show you a very simple but fun project


Here in Toronto, Thanksgiving happens much earlier than it does for our American friends. This year, since we'd be celebrating with our family at my parent's cottage, I decided to wait and buy some decor items after the holiday weekend thinking I'd score some major deals. To my disappointment, when I ventured into my favourite discount stores the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, there was hardly a ceramic gourd or pumpkin in sight. To be sure, plenty of Halloween fare, but not quite what I was after. I wanted something to keep that fall feeling in our home, but I wanted it to blend in with what we have and not overwhelm (as the orange and black Halloween stuff surely would).







A week later, Matt and I were at the grocery store when I was trying to think of a recipe to use the pepper squash and mini pumpkins displayed everywhere. Then I realized that these yummy foods could also be great decor items. For very little money, I scooped up three tiny pumpkins and two pepper squash.









Cute as they are, these little guys do not exactly
blend with our decor. Enter some very inexpensive
craft paint from Walmart that I had lying around.


I used an regular little paint brush and no primer.
Primer would probably be the "right" way to do
this kind of project, but I was lazy and had no
primer on hand. It worked just fine without it, though took a few layers of paint (about one third of the bottle)


Here it is step-by-step for visual learners:

Now, once they were all dried, I mixed them with some candles that had been living on the bathroom counter and popped them on top of a table runner purchased years ago at TJ Maxx. You could also arrange them on a pretty cake stand, silver tray, or in an oversized bowl for a totally different look. 






I'm pleased with how this little project turned out, even though it isn't perfect (notice the un-ironed table runner, white-when-cream-would-be-better candles, and slightly dusty table). Ah, how I love the fall.


P. S. The day after I made these I was at the mall with my sister and spotted these faux pumpkins at Pottery Barn, which reminded me of my little project but with a much, MUCH bigger price tag. These ones are candles, though, which I must admit is pretty cool. Perhaps an option for you if painting pumpkins isn't your thing?
(Image from Potterybarn.com)


UPDATE: I was so excited to see my little pumpkins featured here at Under the Table and Dreaming by Stephanie Lynn - Thank you, Stephanie!


I'm linking up with Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch. Check out all the amazing fall projects linked up there!! 

I'm also linking up with Making Monday Marvelous at C.R.A.F.T. Lots of fun projects to check out there, like this cute Pez artwork from House to Your Home

And because these link parties are so much fun and introduce me to so many great new blogs, I'm also linking up here:

15 comments:

  1. Very pretty painted pumpkins!!!! I love them with your candles...classy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Thoughtfully Blended Hearts
    Thank you!! You are so sweet to stop by and leave a comment -- I appreciate it so much!
    I've checked out your blog, too, and love your photographs!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a pretty dining room! Welcome to the world of blogging and thanx for stopping by earlier!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pumpkins are really elegant! Your table looks great!

    I'm hosting a link party so get your best cocktail recipe ready and dust off those glasses! Join the Happy Hour link party this Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I don't do orange pumpkins either! Or any orange fall decor! I just spray painted all kinds of old fall decor to update it to match my blue/beachy house!

    I want to snag your display and put it on my own dining room table! I'm not totally loving how mine looks. Hmmmmmm....I just might have to paint some more pumpkins!

    http://daisysfavoritethings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! I host a linky party on my blog www.thetshirtdiaries.com and would be honored if you would link this tutorial up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the painted pumpkins. Around here the white pumpkins are more expensive. Actually, I like them better this way even though I love fall colors. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love white pumpkins. That makes such a pretty and festive centerpiece!
    Thanks for linking up to Craft Catwalk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of painting pumpkins - the colored ones are so much more expensive here, so you could really save a bundle by buying orange ones and paint them whatever color you like.

    Great tutorial.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the white pumpkins. I painted some green ones last year. Thanks for linking up to Beyond the Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soooo love the PB knockoff pumpkins!!! Thanks for visiting my blog too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going to have this post in my favorite hits of this week...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! I don't think orange pumpkins coordinate with anyone's decor, really! (although when I was growing up in the '70's, my mom had a pumpkin orange couch - ewww)

    Love the white. Such style!

    Would love for you to link up to Passion for Paint this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for linking up to Passion for Paint, Jenny! Hope you'll stop by again soon!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pumpkins are beautiful! You did a wonderful job on them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)