Saturday, October 23, 2010

Featuring My Friends: Yummy Halloween Treats

I love baking, especially baking things that are cute. Perhaps this explains my penchant for making and decorating cupcakes and mini-cupcakes just about whenever I have an excuse to. I wasn't always a person who baked (I can't in good faith call myself a "baker" yet). One of the first batches I ever whipped up was when my husband turned 26... since then, I've learned many new skills and have made my treats a lot nicer looking. Latley, I got to make the desserts for several birthdays and my sister's engagement party -- can't wait to show you those. But not today. Today is for real bakers. And I am totally ok with the fact that nothing I do compares to the fall treats I'm featuring today. I've picked ones that I think we can all try to make if we feel so inclined. Enjoy!




1) Jessica at Craftily-Ever-After borrowed a Betty Crocker recipe to make these oh so easy (no fancy baking skills required - check out her blog for details) witch hat cookies. I can't wait to try this. 




2) Risa of RestlessRisa has created a whole bunch of the cutest little cupcakes using fondant. I have never worked with fondant, but Risa has inspired me to try it!




3) Christy at A Fudge Ripple created these Pumpkin Spice Cocoa on a Broomstick treats. Don't they look amazing? Did you know Hershey's makes a pumpkin pie spiced flavoured kiss? Incredible, I tell you. Click here for the recipe from Christy.


4) The Decorated Cookie featured these halloween silhouette cookies. Super cute!

5) Perhaps my most favourite is this ghost cake from I am Baker. The little ghosts are marshmallow buttercream and the cake is red velvet. Amazing. 



6) Finally, we have something for the people who don't really like desserts (I know, I know, it sounds crazy, but I know such people exist because I am married to one -- Matt, this one is for you!). Spiderweb nachos. How cute is this? Krista at While He Was Napping created this delightful dish. Yum!

Show us your fall treats by leaving a link in a comment so we can come check out your blog!!

If you'd like to be featured on Simcoe Street, let me know!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the feature! I'm so thrilled you liked them! Have a fantastic weekend.

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for my feature!! What a great roundup this is :) !! Love all the other ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi jenny...thank you for the shout-out. i am in love with the ghost cake...it is beautiful while still being clever. i am going to have a little browse around your site...looks like you have some good stuff. thanks again and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this peek into what "real" bakers can do.I can only look and say, "in your dreams you can do that". Love the ghost cake. Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the feature! All of those treats look SOOO good!! :)

    Jessica
    http://craftily-ever-after.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. All these yummy treats make me smile! So festive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for featuring me! I am so excited. I am loving all the other ideas as well. I am your newest follower :)

    <3

    Risa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)