Wednesday, October 20, 2010

(Canadian) Thanksgiving 2010

As you may know, Canadian Thanksgiving was earlier in October. Thanksgiving always gets me thinking a lot about family (and yummy food). For the past five years, I've been living in the USA and far away from my family over the Thanksgiving holiday (after all, it is not a holiday in the US, so I never had the time off to travel home). This year Matt and I were so excited to be living in Ontario again. Finally, I was able to rejoin my family's tradition of a weekend at my parents' cottage in person instead of on the other end of the telephone. I thought I'd share a few photos of our Thanksgiving dinner. 
If you celebrated in Canada lately, leave a link in the comments so I can check out your thanksgiving posts. And, I know Americans haven't had theirs yet, but I'd love to see yours when you do or any decor or prep you're doing for it. 

The first thing that you should know is that my family is huge. 
In addition to lots of people, there are also lots of dogs 
(five dogs joined us for Thanksgiving up there - including these two cuties)
A big family means lots of big dinners. Thanksgiving is no exception.
Here is our Thanksgiving table (er, make that tables) - simple, but perfect. 


And here is (almost - Mom is taking the pic) everybody enjoying a wonderful dinner
(not the best photo quality, but you get a sense of the evening)
You might have spotted the tiniest diner -- here he is again
Dessert...


And just because I thought it was funny, here is a shot of the entryway


It's good to be home.


In the spirit of a thanksgiving post, I also wanted to say that I am so thankful to have met so many wonderful, creative, talented and kind people through blogging :)


Lastly, before I go I also wanted to quickly share a few Thanksgiving-ish things I am adoring on the blogs of some of my new friends.


Jenny at Henrietta's house showed the prettiest tablescape -- isn't it lovely?


Susan at Between Naps on the Porch featured this fall beauty.


And Candy at The Little Round Table created this playful, beautiful table.

18 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tablescape! But most especially, I love your big family! It reminds me of my family gatherings before we moved here. If you have a chance, please come back and go down one post. I would really love for you to see my ancestral home. Thanks...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny,

    Thanks so much for the shout out!! Love the pics of the pups and family. The shoe pile is cracking me up. Looks familiar...

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, a belated Happy Thanksgiving to you. How marvelous to have such a wonderful family! Loved the pictures of the tablescape and of everyone enjoying it, and the shoes were a scream! But all of those shoes represent a lot of people who love each other, and that is very, very sweet. Cute baby, too!

    Happy Tablescape Thursday...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great time you must have had! We have a big family also and it's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stopping by from BNOTFP :) We celebrated Canadian Thanksagiving, too, so you might enjoy popping over to my blog to see the pix:)

    It's nice to "meet" you! We're practically neighbours, you know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Jenny! I am via Love Songs/Sheila's blog! I noticed your comment stating you had a new blog. I just became YOUR newest Follower! :) Hey, Happy Canadian Thanksgiving too. How nice that you were finally home to celebrate it with your big, wonderful family. You are so lucky to have so many loving people there -- It looks like so much fun! I will visit again soon.
    Best regards,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. That shoe pic is priceless!
    I love the tables you shared all so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenny,
    Looks like a good time is being had by all!
    that is the first and most important thing.
    Loved all the shoes!! So cute!
    Nothing like being with family and friends for the holidays. Loved all the tables you posted!!
    Blessings, Nellie
    and nice to meet you, I came over from Martys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post. It is so wonderful you were able to join your family for Thanksgiving. I love the big table with room for everyone. We do the same at our house. There are usually about 12 of us and thank goodness, we just keep stretching out the table and make room for everyone too. I loved the pic of the shoes. Looks like our house too. You have a wonderful family and I am sure it was a fabulous holiday. Thanks so much for sharing and thanks for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you all had a great time! I forgot that your Thanksgiving was earlier than ours. I love Toronto, it's such a cool city!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Jenny, I saw you over at TTT and the name Simcoe Street caught my eye because I also live in Ontario.
    Love the white pumpkins I have a few of those around here ! just wanted to say hello, talk to you soon !

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that is indeed one huge family celebration! It reminds me of my family's holiday events when I was a little girl. Thank you for sharing your wonderful trip home to be with your family. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful Thanksgiving!! I don't think that I KNOW that many people! I'm sure you all had a wonderful time. And those pies!!! Yummy looking!

    So glad you are able to be back home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those tables remind me so much of our Thanksgiving!

    Thanks for linking up to Home and Family Friday!

    Becca
    becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness....
    Love it!
    Your pictures are worth a thousand words!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the combination of a fly swatter and ice skates hanging by the front door!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The best part of any tablescape are all the people around the table. Looks like you had a great family thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful table you set Jenny, and I love seeing pictures of your loved ones gathered round! Thank you for sharing and entering in the tablescape contest!
    xo
    Kate

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)