Saturday, October 23, 2010

Beer Bottle Turned Dish Soap Bottle/Oil Cruet

I swear, I am not obsessed with cleaning or anything, but I have a second dish soap makeover to share with you... You could also use this idea to make an olive oil cruet.


Last night, while I was out with my sisters, Matt had some friends over. This was how our kitchen counter looked this morning as a result. 


As we were tidying up, I noticed the cool numbers raised in the glass on this beer bottle, and had an idea... 

All I needed for this idea (besides the bottle, of course) was a little pourer. I had tons of these liquor bottle pourers and thought I could repurpose one. It was too big for the bottle neck, so I had to cut the cork down a little. If you try this, no need to be "neat" - just cut bits off until it is the right size. Also, you can buy these in multipacks anywhere (including Dollarama).


 Meanwhile, I was giving the bottles a warm, soapy bath in the kitchen sink. 
 A few minutes later, the labels peeled right off and I left the bottles to try. 


And voila! For $0 and almost no time, a nicer looking way to store your dish soap!



Here it is with my other little dish soap makeover (though I'll probably see if one of my sisters would like it, since I have no real use for two types of dish soap).



 Now here's where I could use some help -- what (aside from taper candle holders or stem vases or, you know, recycling) could I do with all the green bottles I have left (five of 'em)? Would love to hear your ideas!


Even though this isn't a "happy hour" per se, I'm linking up with happy hour at Henrietta's House, a great party Jenny hosts over there. I figured this might give people some ideas of what to do with the aftermath of a good happy hour. Hope that's ok, Jenny!


Also Linking up with

23 comments:

  1. Really Cute! I need something cute to put mine in, I have the ugly squeeze bottle it came in sitting on my sink. Gasp!

    Jo @ http://smilemonsters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was clever and they are so cute! I just use the old bottles as bud vases. Right now I have spearmint in Coke bottles. I read that dried mint repels mosquitoes so I cut spearmint, stuck them in the bottles and let the mint dry out in the vases.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this idea. I think I might have to make a few. And, thanks for stopping by my blog.
    Erika @ Retropolitan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea. I have tried this in the past and the pourer eventually rusts. I guess with olive oil you don't have this problem. I guess with the pourers being so cheap I could discard the old one and add a new. I love the green of your bottles. I know you will enjoy having it right up on the counter and handy. Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea. I am going to have to make one for my kitchen. My boyfriend will love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The numbers on the bottles really make it so unique. I'm not the most creative person so I am drawing a blank on what to do with your surplus of bottles. If you go to some of the coastal blogs you might get a good idea from them. Enjoyed my visit today and thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you repurposed these bottles! They turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fabulous! I love it! You should think about selling these babies!
    Thanks for linking to Making It With Allie!
    I can't wait to see what you have next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this idea. I love doing projects once in a while that are *almost* instant gratification.. I will have to try these. I saw somewhere in blog land that someone took wine bottles and cut the bottoms off, then they created a light fixture with a couple bottles. This might be a good idea... here's one I found on google. http://www.oregonlive.com/hg/index.ssf/2009/02/turn_empty_bottles_into_lights.html Check me out at www.refinish-it-all.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I FOUND IT!!!!!!! Here is the link for the blog I was talking about...

    http://adventuresincreating.blogspot.com/2010/09/light-it-up.html

    i guess you could possibly use a smaller bulb. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous idea!!

    This week is my blog anniversary and I'm hosting a week's worth of great giveaways. Feel free to stop by if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love your idea if you get any ideas what to with old bottle would love to know or please post

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it!!! I am thinking you could make homemade bath soap or bath salts (you would need some kind of lid ofcourse) then tie a ribbon around it and Voila! Super cute gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! I have a reuse challenge going on on my blog and I would love to see this linked up on the party tomorrow.

    www.lifelovegreen.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a fabulous idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so excited you posted thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are using a bottle on our bathroom sink for mouthwash. Much nicer then the plastic it comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect! I love fun projects using stuff that would normally go straight to the recycling bin. Turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! What a clever idea! We have a six pack of Dos Equis in the fridge right now. I'm going to pin your idea for later! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That turned out so great! Very elegant and modern looking!
    Thanks for linking up with LSJ this week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You were featured this week for Tute Tuesday! you were the most visited link! Thanks for linking up and Come check it out to grab a featured button!! http://threeyearsofdeath.blogspot.com/2012/02/tute-tuesday-link-up-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh to clever loved this idea have to make me one!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)